Chapter Five

Eyes fluttering open, you stared at the familiar unpigmented ceiling with a blank expression. You didn't want to get out of bed for a multitude of reasons — the plan you had been working on for so many weeks had now been completely scratched as you had realized the crucial points you had forgotten about. Too much stress wasn't good for a growing child.

Dragging yourself out of your futon bed, you walked to the kitchen with a slightly slouched back as you murmured things along the lines of "why didn't I notice sooner" and "I'm too tired for this" and the like. Your father who was watching you the whole time raised his brows when you finally sat down next to him, silently asking if you were okay. Shaking your head, you smiled softly at him, denying that there was anything wrong with your physical health which was generally the truth. You were just tired and rather stressed but other than that, you were completely fine.

Your father, not believing your words were the truth, put on a thoughtful expression that you wished was not the result of another idea of his. He was a bright man, that much was evident from his career accomplishment but sometimes his plans of cheering you up were questionable; like that time he bought you a candy bar because your tooth was hurting. You truly appreciated the concern but sincerely hoped he thought it thoroughly.

"Usagi-chan, why don't we go to Thirty One? It's Sunday so papa doesn't have work! Mama and neko-chan will come along as well, of course!"

He proclaimed, eyes sparkling as he silently begged you to accept his offer. He spoiled you often with sweet treats so this wasn't anything new to you but nonetheless, you liked how much he cared for your emotional well-being. You caught him sneaking a glance at your mother as she nodded her head, agreeing with his plan. Thirty One, otherwise known as Baskin Robbins, wasn't a place the three of you visited since it was quite far from where your home was located so you were excited to a degree.

"Really, mama? Can we go to Thirty One today?"

You asked, head tilting to the side slightly as you faced your mother who was still cooking breakfast. Not turning around, she nodded her head at your question.

"Of course, usagi-chan! You and neko-chan can go ahead and order as much flavors as you want!"

Her statement made you more giddy than ever, almost to the point where the incident from yesterday had been pushed to the back of your mind. Out of all the times you went to Thirty One, your mother never allowed you to to get every flavour, saying it was "bad for your teeth and would give you cavaties" which you completely agreed with. Despite you acknowledging this, that didn't necessarily stop your sweet tooth.

"Really, papa? Can we really get as much flavors as we'd like?"

You asked for confirmation from your father who you knew wasn't going to deny you and your brother an opportunity to finally taste all the flavours, he had as much of a sweet tooth as you.

"Of course, usagi-chan! We can taste all the ice cream flavours together!"

He replied as sparkles surrounded him. His smile was that of a man finally been given food and water after a famine that lasted for a year, he had tears threatening to fall though you could not blame for being so excited. Your mother was strict in what foods you ate and often reprimanded your father for having such a sweet tooth and "influencing our children in living an unhealthy lifestyle", as she phrased it. That was why she cooked the meals herself, she would make sure all of them were balanced in nutrition without fail.

You two were now basically looking at each other as if you had discovered an oasis in a desert. Akagi was still sleeping by now and would be woken up later when breakfast was being served but you were sure he would also have the same expression as the two of you if he was awake.