Chapter Twenty-Three

A/n: *sips energy drink*

The Lantern Festival had started around 7:00 pm, a few moments after the sky had gotten dark already. By the time 6:30 had rolled in, many residents and tourists had already gathered within Hikage slope for the start of the evening festivities. Though Tomo would have been delighted, whatever that meant for a database lacking emotions, to inform you the actives that would play out for this year — sometimes not knowing anything and being forced to go with the flow was a pleasant change.

Unfortunately for Hakuba Gao, you were still following him and staying within arm's reach all throughout the day and even as your family including him and her aunt went up Hikage slope, it seemed leaving him was an ability you had yet to master. Truthfully though, it didn't bother him too much, something he didn't want to admit out loud in fear that you'd laugh at his face.

You kept admiring Nagano and the sceneries it provided with glittering eyes and an awe-stricken face, mouth agape as you rambled on and on to him how truly fascinating his prefecture was. He thought it was admirable how openly you expressed yourself and how seemingly unafraid you were to speak out your thoughts.

For a boy who always tried to put on a brave front for the sake of his ego and pride, you were like a role model to him, no matter how idiotic he thought that phrase was.

Back to the matter at hand, the Lantern Festival didn't actually include the release of lanters, much to your misfortune and dismay — given they did put the word "lantern" in the event, your train of thought immediately went to an event similar to that of the Tangled movie in which they released lanterns every year as a celebration for Rapunzel's birthday.

You weren't that huge of a fan of Disney but you would be lying to yourself if you said you didn't want to experience that occurrence at least once in your life. Though you weren't too dissapointed given it was still rather fun, people were grinning and kids were running around — it was a cute scene, something you wanted to hold deep in your heart.

'Tomo?'

You asked, the music from the performance from the local rock bands being drowned out as you watched the night unfold with a soft smile. You were certain your family was right beside you, conversing with each other but it seemed that are that moment, they weren't there at all.

'Yes, Y/n-dono?'

You hear him say, monotone and unchanging as ever. Despite knowing that he was merely fulfilling his duty as your "personal assistant", for a lack of better terms to use, you regarded him as a friend that made everyday more worth it and made you look forward to the possibility of tomorrow.

'could you take a picture of this moment for me?'

There was silence for a few moments and you waited patiently, not really minding much.

'of course'

The rest of the night was as enjoyable as ever as the nearing end was coming closer though it was at the back of your mind as you played tag with Akagi and Hakuba, grins on your faces and light-hearted laughter leaving your lips. As silly as it was, there was also a rock-paper-scissors competition which everyone was free to participate in.

Not having anything better to do and since there were prizes for the winners, you had almost immediately signed up for it after asking permission from your parents — well, it was more in the terms that you begged them to agree.

Akagi and Hakuba had tagged along for funsies and though you didn't really think they'd be interested in a competition made solely for rock-paper-scissors, you happily accompanied them.