Chapter Ten

When you got back home, you didn't speak much and only responded in nods and silent affirmations and so did Akagi. He might have been new to volleyball and he might have been young but he was smart enough to understand that the situation was dire and if you didn't plan ahead throughly, your team would be do e with without a second of a doubt.

The captain of the other team was Tsukishima Akiteru, an intelligent and over-all reliable guy that became ace in his middle school. He was still 10-years-old, too young to be in middle school but you were certain that he was already skilled in volleyball. You weren't stupid, you didn't want to underestimate your opponent so that you could still hold the belief that you were going to win. Ushijima and Miwa was on his team which made the situation even worse, the former was good in spiking and the latter was good in setting.

Your defense was good with Akagi and Saito on your team and you didn't have to worry about blocking since you had Tendō but in offensive, you didn't have a lot of cards to play. Tenma would only become ace in his second-year in highschool so you couldn't start being relieved right away. Even if you did manage a role where you were the only one on offense on the first team, Akiteru made it to the top three in blocking which meant he could also block your spikes.

But first, you needed to assign the other captains for the remaining three teams. For the first team, it would be you so you could maneuver the team however you liked. For the second team that would be playing the same time as you, you'd assign Akagi to be the captain. It was seldom that liberos were assigned as captains but he was the only one you could explain the whole plan to before the day of the match since you lived together.

You knew he was still scared, he knew that he was still starting off but this would be a good push-off for him, if he could win his match then he'd gain more experience and could believe in his abilities more. The third team, you'd assign Arima and for the fourth team, Kitagawa. They were responsible people and were one of the oldest in your whole team so you could definitely rely on them.

Dinner was fairly quiet and peaceful without the involvement of you and Akagi since the both of you were too focused on the game tomorrow which made your mother worried slightly. After eating, you and your brother immediately ran to the living room to discuss what tactics you thought of. You were sharing ideas, one of Akagi's was to overwhelm them with defense which was a good plan for the first half of the game but would be wishful thinking if you planned to win the entire match.

Plus, some of these kids were just starting off and only did volleyball for fun so the idea of them being able to receive every one of Ushijima and Akiteru's spikes was a fool's line of thought.

"How about we aim for a service ace? It'll put them in a disadvantage and hopefully we can pressure some of them to the point where their performance is affected?"

You suggested, writing it down as a possible strategy. You'd begin collecting all the ideas then crossing out the ones that wouldn't work.

"Yeah, but we should still focus on defense. We don't have a lot of people who are good at spiking so I can't really think of how we'd win in terms of attacking. I think they'd focus on spiking since Ushijima-san, Tsukishima-san, and Matsuno-san is on their team. But I'm kinda worried how they'll divide their teams."

Akagi commented, eating a chocolate as his eyes focused on the paper. You were thankful that your brother was so smart, he could point at all the things you would fail to notice because of how many things were swirling in your head. His words made you worry even more, he may have had a lot of teammates that were good in spiking but how would he divide them? Surely he wasn't just going to focus all his fire-power on a single team? He wasn't that stupid.