Chapter Fourteen

"Chibikko Ninja Village..?"

You asked, more to yourself than the people who surrounded you. You didn't study much about Nagano City— and Nagano Prefecture as a whole but Chibikko Ninja Village sounded like something that would have originated from a novel, or from the Naruto series. Given this was Japan, it wasn't all too unexpected than if the aforementioned village was located somewhere in America or Europe. This fact still didn't surpress your wide grin that originated from a mixture of surprise and general excitement.

Naruto was basically one of the first animated shows you had seen, you watched it everyday as a kid and even made the effort to be the one closest to the screen when an episode finally aired; this received scolding from your parents, warning you that it would surely affect your eyesight. You weren't very wealthy in your past life so a trip to Japan wasn't something you planned on doing and even if you did have the money for some bizzare reason, life as a highschooler was difficult as college preparations constantly mocked you. You weren't considering going to Japan at all anytime soon so you barely searched for tourist attractions, labeling it as a distraction that would cause dissatisfaction so your information on places that would attract attention outside of Miyagi was rather blurry.

You ought to study more when you got back home— maybe your grandparents had geography books? Or books that regarded Japan in general? You'd definitely have to inquire about that sooner or later but for now you'd rather focus on the situation beforehand as Shoko tugged at your clothes endlessly, quietly begging you to save her from the awkwardness as she was between you and Akagi. You had been quiet most of the time since you were too preoccupied thinking about what this village would look like and Akagi was just walking without saying a word— the only person he knew between the three Hirugami siblings was Fukuro and even then, they weren't very acquainted. Excluding the fact that they knew each other's names, they were basically strangers.

Which was a fact you intended to change as soon as possible.

"Neko-chan, neko-chan"

You called and he glanced at you with a small smile on his face, probably relieved that you decided to break the tension that was slowly but surely accumulating between the five of you. You could almost feel heat radiating off of Shoko despite the slightly chilly weather. Though the cause of this could have varied, you chose to believe that it was her finding Akagi's smile adorable; something you wholeheartedly agreed with.

"What is it, onee-chan?"

"Do you know his name yet?"

You ask, pointing towards Sachiro who was silently walking next to Fukuro, the both of them in front of the three of you. They didn't seem to be holding a serious conversation, only sharing a few words with each other so you could probably introduce them to Akagi and vice versa without the possibility of coming off as rude or too assertive, which was an ideal situation for you. He shook his head as a response to your question and you nodded, lightly tapping Sachiro's shoulder so he'd turn around to face you. Doing just that, the young boy turned around and looked at you with expectant eyes, not really bothering to mask his curiousness and interest; well, he was only a young boy so there wasn't really a need to do so given the situation wasn't anything major but just simple introductions that you'd hope would lead to friendship.

"Sachiro-san, this is my brother, Akagi! He's kind of shy but I hope the two of you get along!"

As cheerfully as possible, you conveyed your words with a grin, pointing at Akagi since you couldn't really place a hand on his shoulder given Shoko was in the middle.

"uhh...hi, Sachiro-san"

Akagi said, waving his hand with a nervous smile. He wasn't as shy as he was with Fukuro, maybe because your grandmother's presence wasn't there to pressure him or maybe because he was actually given a choice and not shoved towards an individual he didn't even know— the latter would be more understandable but you didn't think too much of it.