Capitulo 8

'How's it going down here Papa Bear?' I greeted Moscow as he leant against a pipe in the basement, observing Arturito's weak attempt at using a jack hammer. 

Moscow chuckled as I came to stand next to him, 'I think the most rewarding part of the job is watching that idiot try to drill.' 

I hummed in response. 

'Something on your mind?' He asked gently, turning his full attention to me. Like Berlin, Moscow could tend to tell if something was bothering me but, unlike Berlin most of the time, Moscow actually cared.

I sighed, 'Si si I'm fine, I just feel, I don't know, like something is about to go wrong?' It was Berlin's previous conversation with me about killing a hostage that had put me on edge like this, but I couldn't tell Moscow that. Moscow may know about Denver and I but I wouldn't want to find out what Berlin would do to me if I revealed to someone what he had told me 'in confidence'.

'I don't blame you Vienna, but try to keep calm, it's a high tension situation but we all know what we're doing and if we stick to the plan we should all make it out of here a lot richer.' He nudged me, getting me to crack a smile. 

'You're right. I'm paranoid.' 

He put a hand on my cheek for a moment before pretending to slap me, 'Now stop slacking you, get out of here and keep an eye on that son of mine.' 

I laughed and nodded, heading back up to the main floor. 

'There's always a hero' said Berlin as he paced between the rows of hostages, 'Who thinks he can save the others. Who thinks that no one will discover that he's coming up with a plan to contact the police.'

Denver and Tokyo looked at me questioningly but I shrugged, confirming that I didn't know what Berlin was talking about. 

'Well Bravo!' Berlin clapped slowly and threateningly, 'Because one of you has done it. One of you recorded a message from inside and sent it to the police.' 

My heart dropped. This news paired with the sickening smirk on Berlin's face surely wouldn't end well for the hostages. I swore under my breath, this would provide Berlin with the perfect opportunity to exert his control and make an example of one of them with an execution. I scanned the hostages' faces, looking for any signs of guilt, hoping that maybe I could get to them first and diffuse the situation. 

My eyes locked with Rio's for a second and that was all I needed to realise that he knew more than he was letting on. I tilted my head at him and that was enough for him to see that I knew he was hiding something. My knee bobbed nervously, Rio was like a brother to me in here, he was the first friend I'd made in Toledo, having been the closest in age to each other, and I was not about to let Berlin punish him for his involvement. 

I gritted my teeth as I watched Berlin continue to stalk through the hostages and order Helsinki to undress a man to look for the phone. 

'What the fuck are you doing?' I grabbed Berlin's arm and whispered to him.

'Pay attention. Looked like you failed, hostage coordinator.' He replied as he shook me off. 'It was one of you, I just don't know who...' He trailed off as he reached Monica Gaztambide. 'Denver, undress her.' He ordered casually. 

Denver looked at me with wide eyes, showing his reluctance and I shook my head at him, urging him not to obey Berlin. 

'Denver.' Berlin repeated and Denver had no choice but to pull Monica forward.