Capitulo 13

Bit of a bombshell in this chapterrrrr!

It wasn't even Sunday night when Moscow hit the dirt. Nairobi had the printers going at full speed and she'd just surpassed the 400 million mark. I was coming down to check on how Moscow was getting on when I heard cheers and laughter coming from the open vault. The song that the Professor played often back in Toledo, Bella Ciao, was blasting and I heard voices singing along merrily. 

I chuckled to myself and jogged towards the vault, 'What's going on?' I asked eagerly. In response, Tokyo threw a handful of dirt at me and I grinned as it hit me. Moscow had done it!

I grabbed Tokyo's hands, spinning her round as I joined in the celebratory singing. Denver soon arrived, as confused as I had been at what all the shouting was about. He soon saw what we were all so giddy about and he picked me up by the waist spinning me in the air and pressing a kiss to my lips. No one else cared about our display of affection as they whooped, throwing money and dirt up into the air. I laughed as he put me down and I hugged Moscow tightly, jumping up and down with excitement. Singing at the top of our lungs, Berlin ruffled my hair and I smacked him away laughing.

 Nairobi arrived too, and before long we were dancing in a circle, arms around each other as the song continued, becoming our victory chant. My smile was uncontrollable as I looked at my fellow thieves, who had become like family to me, we all had so much riding on this and now we were one step closer to our escape. Tokyo threw euro bills over us as we danced like maniacs before sinking to our knees as the song ended. 

It was, without a doubt, our happiest moment in there. Little did I know that the rest of the day would go down hill for me.

I stood on the balcony level overlooking the main hall as Tokyo and Rio brought out the hostages one by one to Inspector Marillo and Berlin. I could tell by the Inspector's body language that she was uncomfortable being that close to Berlin, especially with that constant smirk and snide comments he was making as each hostage was brought forward for proof of life.

I watched, amused, as Tokyo and Berlin taunted the Inspector, sticking to our main aim: to waste her time for as long as possible. In this heist that's what we were stealing, time. And these two hours that the Inspector had spent inside the Mint so far had gained us an extra 16 million euros. 

'Since I've got here, I've heard you say nothing but nonsense.' Raquel deadpanned, 'I was expecting a little more substance from a man that has - how many? About seven months to live?' 

The others' faces dropped as the Inspector said this and my gun slipped in my hands, falling to the floor as my face went white under my mask. I was aware of Berlin glancing up at me for a second before returning his gaze to the Inspector. 

'What's she talking about?' Rio asked, as confused as the rest of us. 

'He has Hellmer's Myopathy, an extremely aggressive degenerative disease. It's possible that his muscles are starting to get paralysed, which results in spasms, hand tremors. Have you noticed how hard it's getting to hold your gun?' You could tell by the smug tone of her voice that she enjoyed being the one to deliver this clearly new information to us. 

Berlin said nothing, and backed away slowly, leaving the Inspector with Tokyo and Rio, looking very pleased with herself. I didn't really know what to think, I was empty of any reaction to this news, just in shock that this man, who prided himself on his strength, only had months left to live. 

'Teammates.' Berlin addressed us all in the break room a short while later, 'I want to apologise for not being completely honest with you. The Inspector was right, I have a degenerative disease, a real motherfucker.'