Capitulo 9

It was 26 hours into the heist when I heard it. A gunshot. It wasn't Tokyo, she'd calmed down since her moment of madness when Rio had been beaten up. 

The hostages screamed and dropped to the floor, clutching at each other.

'Calm down, keep it together!' I shouted with Nairobi as we tried to control them whilst also wondering who the hell got shot.

Then came a second one. 

Nairobi gave me a nod and I hurried off to find out what was going on. I saw Berlin going up the stairs and I caught up to him. 'What's going on?' I asked breathlessly. 

'We're about to find out.' He replied before leading me to the first floor bathroom. I was confused as to why he was taking us there. He seemed suspicious as we neared the door, like he knew what was going on but wasn't completely sure. 

He turned the door handle and pushed it open in time for us to see Denver turning a body over on its side, blood pooling around it. 

I gasped in horror, my hands coming up to my mouth as I recognised the curly blonde hair of Monica and I took a few shaky steps into the room, tears pooling in my eyes. I had failed and now an innocent woman was dead. 

'Two gunshots hey?' Berlin said, his lack of surprise confirming to me that he was the one who'd ordered Denver to do this, 'Do you have bad aim or do blondes make you nervous?' 

I forced my eyes away from Monica's lifeless body and looked Denver dead in the eyes, feeling betrayal that he'd ever do such a thing. He lowered his head in shame and averted his eyes back to Berlin. 'It's not easy when she's begging you not to kill her.' 

I choked back a sob as he said this with such a lack of emotion. As Denver shouted at Berlin for making him do his dirty work I approached Monica and crouched down next to her, laying a hand on her shoulder and lowering my head. 

At first I thought it was my imagination, my denial that was making me think that her shoulder was moving slightly as if she was breathing. But no, it wasn't my imagination, I furrowed my brow as I could feel her letting out subtle but shaky breaths. I realised then that Denver hadn't killed her. My breathing became shallow, overjoyed that the man, who I daresay I was falling in love with, had spared the life of this woman. I quickly covered up my shock though, standing up and backing away from Monica, making it believable for Berlin. 

'How could you do that Denver?' I breathed, letting the tears fall from my eyes. What can I say, I'm a good actress. 

'He had no choice.' Berlin replied for him, 'There's a coal boiler in the basement, throw the body in there and then come back and clean this up afterwards.' 

'I'll help him.' I said to Berlin and he raised his eyebrows at me. 

'Are you sure you want to do that, clean up the blood of a woman your lover just murdered?' He said. 

'He didn't murder her. You did.' I said defiantly.

He smirked and backed away, 'Very well, I'll leave you two love birds to it.' 

Once we had heard him retreat down the corridor I let out a breath and threw my arms around Denver's neck, he was shaking as he hugged me back, getting Monica's blood all over me but I didn't care, she was alive. 

'I couldn't do it.' He choked. 

'I know, I know.' I soothed him, stroking his hair before pulling away from him with a sad smile and going over to help Monica sit up. 

'That was some great acting there Senorita Gaztambide.' I smiled, trying to show her I meant no harm. 'Ouch he got you good didn't he.' I said when I saw the blood spreading from the bullet wound in her thigh. 

'We need to get her to a vault downstairs, she said she can hide in there.' Denver said. 

'Ok,' I tried to appear bright and confident for Monica as I realised we were going to have to not just hide her but also stop her from bleeding to death, 'That's what we'll do then. Denver pick her up carefully and I'll walk ahead of you to check no one's coming.'

Once Monica was safely in the vault, we returned to the scene of the crime. By now, Berlin had probably told the rest of the gang what had happened.

Denver had taken his jumpsuit and t shirt off, standing only in his underwear and madly trying to scrub the dried blood off him in the sink. I stopped cleaning the blood off the floor and went to stand behind him, resting my head on his back as he breathed heavily.

 I reached round his waist and grabbed his hands before turning him to face me, 'Here let me.' I said gently as I saw the stress mounting in his eyes. He nodded gratefully and I took his hands and ran them under the water, using my own to clean off the stubborn blood. 

We heard the door creak open slowly and we looked to see Moscow standing there, his eyes taking in the blood in disbelief. 

Denver looked at his father desperately, who was now looking at him with colossal disappointment in his eyes. It broke my heart. 'Hijo, did you kill that woman?' Moscow asked quietly. Berlin came to stand behind him in the doorway and so there was no way we could tell Moscow that his son was not a murderer. 

Denver nodded slowly and Moscow shuddered, taking a few steps forward before grunting and starting to sink to the floor. 

'Papa? Papa what's wrong?' Denver exclaimed, cradling his fall and lowering him to the floor. I watched with wide eyes as Moscow struggled to breathe and Berlin and I moved to crouch down beside him.

'It's a panic attack, lay him down, lay him down.' Berlin instructed calmly and I winced as we lay Moscow down in Monica's blood. 

'Papa papa it's ok it's ok.' Denver repeated.

In a few minutes, Nairobi and Helsinki had run in to see what the commotion was and Berlin pulled me away to stand in the doorway, giving Moscow and Denver some room. 

I stood beside Berlin who had a hand around my shoulder, knowing that I wanted to be in there supporting Denver and Moscow but they needed breathing space at the moment. I wanted to shrug him off me but part of me needed the comfort right now and I know it wasn't something that came naturally to Berlin so we stood there watching the father and son duo as Nairobi brought in a blanket for Moscow and tucked him in it gently. 

'Go get cleaned up.' Berlin muttered, pushing me in the direction of the women's bathroom and I just nodded weakly, trudging away to wash the blood off my hands. 

'We'll buy an island. You, me and Vienna.' I padded outside, hearing Moscow and Denver's voices 

'Buenos noches gentlemen.' I announced my presence and Denver turned his head and grinned at me. 

I joined them and sat at Denver's feet, looking up at the stars. I felt Denver wrap a blanket around my shoulders and I smiled gratefully, pulling it closer to me to keep out the chill of the night air. 

'No more sharing a room once we're out of here though papa, you snore.' Denver continued. 

'I do not!' Moscow defended with a chuckle. 

'Moscow I can hear you from down the corridor.' And I snored loudly, doing an impression of him that made the other two laugh. 

We fell into a comfortable silence as we looked up at the sky peacefully and I leaned back against Denver's legs. After a bit, my eyes started to droop and I remember being scooped up and I woke the next morning alone in my bed. 

A short update sorry, but I'm aiming to make the next one longer!!