8

A week or so had past and Blaze was in the dark of what was happening. He would receive calls and texts from his friends asking how he was doing but, when the question of how Garroth was doing was brought into play, there was no answer. The stubborn redhead was getting tired of it all truly and just wanted to be there but, he knew it was for a good cause. Sooner or later, they will figure it out but, in the meantime, he was keeping himself busy in his penthouse. All the normal things people would do. When it turned dark though, Blaze would transform and patrol the night.

The cool air would blow gently through his hair and nip at his fingertips. The night sky was dark with speckles of light that were blocked by the city's splendor. He would jump from rooftop to rooftop, soon perching himself on a familiar one that held great memories for him. It was outside of town square but, he could still see the statue of Nicole glimmering slightly. Families were enjoying their evenings, children wrapped in layers to keep them warm while their parents made sure they were close. Blaze chuckled seeing a little boy swinging from one of the trees that was planted to make some "greenery" in the pavement. It was a nice spot. He hoped that his partner would think the same once he showed him.

He sat himself on the edge of the flat roof on the apartment complex that was on top of a bookstore that used to be a organic grocery store ten years prior.

"I'll admit Amina,", He said in his mind, "this place never gets old."

"Maybe because things always slightly change as time goes on. New things usually spark interest in people,", The female voice responded. "I know what you're thinking though Blaze and yes I think he will like it."

"I really can't keep my thoughts private from you,", Blaze laughed a little, placing his chin on the back of his hand, his elbow resting on his thigh. "I just hope it's not too much for him to handle. The city is different. For starters, the observatory is gone and was replaced by a statue of him, which I think he won't understand why."

"You'll just have to show him. I'm sure when he gets a little normality back in his life he'll be fine,", Amina assured him. "Do you still have his necklace?"

"Y-Yes...do you think he'll want it back?"

"I can sense Ekon in the charm. He wants Garroth back in Protector's shoes. He believes in him still."

Blaze sighed. He hoped that Garroth believed in himself to do it again. Yet, he wasn't going to rush him-

"Blaze, I know you want to take it slow, but Shadow is back and we are going to need Protector back,", Amina said, interrupting Blaze's train of thought. "It'll be your job to quickly ease him back into that reality when the time comes."

"B-But-"

"No. You know I'm right."

Just then, Blaze's ear piece buzzed, causing him to yelp in shock. A few people turned to him from the street below and he flushed from embarrassment.

"S-Sorry!", He called out, answering the call. "What?"

"Why aren't you by your phone?"

He immediately knew it was Laurance. "I'm out. Taking a stroll."

"Well, can you make your way back here? We made a breakthrough and we need you to see if it worked."

Blaze's heart leaped in joy. This might be it. "I'm on my way."

He hung up and made his way back to his penthouse to change back and retrieve his car.

•••

"Elizabeth, you have to trust us,", Aphmau urged. "Travis and the team are some of the most brilliant people in the country. If anyone's prototype can work, it's their's."

Elizabeth didn't like the feel of the project. The prototype has only been completed for the past two days and had gone through limited tests. She knew that the next step was the test it on Garroth himself but, she feared that it would put everyone in the facility at risk.

"This is the only progress we have made in the past week Agent Washer,", Travis formally stated. "If this doesn't work, we'll just move on to the next thing. Blaze will be able to assess his level of power if he does attack. If he is able to beat him, we know this is the step in the right direction and will allow us to help Garroth in a more fastened pace."

Washer didn't have much of a choice and allowed the team to run the test. Blaze was supposed to arrive shortly and she called the team to all meet in the cells down on the bottom floor.

Soon, everyone had gathered to watch. Garroth was in a round, circular cell in the middle of the room. Researchers and scientists, with Dante, Katelyn, and Travis, had their tablets and pads at the ready to see the event unfold. Aphmau with a fellow assistant, Melissa, were in charge of filming from all angles with security cameras in a separate. Laurance as well as a few other agents were assigned to apply the cuffs. The brunette took a deep breath as a small part of the shield open like a tent. He stepped through with the cuffs in hand, the other agents following behind him, tranquilizers ready at command.
Luckily, Garroth just stared blankly at Laurance as he applied the silver and green bracelets. They seemed to fit tightly on his wrists and could only open by a small key that was around Travis' neck. The team exited the cell and the green shield closed once more.

"Ma'am,", An agent said, walking in. "Agent Carpenter has arrived."

"Send him in,", She nodded.

The agent rushed off to bring Blaze down.

"Do you think this will work?", Dante asked, grasping tightly at his tablet.

"I'm ninety-five percent sure,", Travis said, smiling.

That didn't seem to calm Dante down and Katelyn just gave Travis a look like; "Really?"

Blaze entered behind the agent, shocked to see how many people were in the room. It was brightly lit, the cells were white with their green shields, giving off a high-tech sort of look. It only made the redhead feel uncomfortable. He looked over to Washer, a stern expression on his face. He still didn't appreciate being left out of the operation but, he was glad to be back.
Elizabeth placed a hand on his shoulder and asked; "Are you ready?"

The young man just nodded. Washer turned and asked; "What should he expect Mr. Valkrum? What are the steps of the procedure?"

"Well,", He started, looking back at his notes. "I say we all go back to the security room and observe. We'll leave Blaze alone with equipment to protect himself, like one of those tranquilizer guns. Then, we'll remove the shield and let Garroth react however."

At the moment, Garroth hasn't reacted at Blaze but, was staring right at him. It sent an uneasiness to the team but, they went on with the plan.

"Good luck Agent Carpenter,", Washer said, leaving with the the majority of the team. Laurance stayed behind and said; "Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work. Shadow is a powerful being. If you need assistance just call me."

Blaze smirked at his friend and hugged him. Laurance handed him his gun and left the room. Blaze summoned his Howler form and waited for the shield to drop.

Word Count: 1269