21

Garroth was laying on his bed, reading a book that Lucinda had gotten for him. He needed to keep his mind off of things for a bit. The more he thought about what was going on, a normal future became a harder reality to reach. Most people when they are twenty-six-years-old usually graduated from high school, maybe college. Garroth remembers that he wasn't even truly thinking about that before this all happened. He was a sophomore in high school last time he checked. People his age would be starting their careers. Some of them may already have a family for heavens sake! The more he thought about all of it, the whispers of Shadows returned.

 "You're behind,", He said. "You're a burden to your friends. If it wasn't for you, they would have a normal life. They were used to not having you around anymore. Now you changed all of that." 

Garroth kept his focus on the book. He read each sentence as if it was the secret to life and immortality. Yet, the thoughts kept getting louder. Shadow's voice remained a whisper and Garroth found that his own thoughts were stronger.

 "You can't yell at me Garroth. I'm only here to reiterate what you already said. You see...you're falling. I can catch you..." 

"And what would you do? You're the one who got me in this mess in the first place." 

"I can take it all away. I can make sure that you're not the burden any longer." 

The blonde sat up in his bed and put the book down. He knew he was playing games with the devil but, he wanted answers. The two never really had a conversation before. It had always been one over the other.

"I'm giving you a chance Shadow...what did you do to me and why?" 

The voice laughed and said in a low tone; "Remember that day Garroth? The day you destroyed my relic? Well, my spirit still lurks and the closest thing to another relic was you." 

"What do you mean?" 

"I saw you lying there after the flames. Lifeless. You were empty. If it wasn't for me possessing you, you wouldn't be here now. They would've found you,", He explained. "You're parents would've buried you in the ground and Garroth Ro'Meave would've been added to the list of names meant to be forgotten." 

Part of Garroth wished that would've happened. Then all of this would've never happened.

"But, now that I'm here, you have a life and I have a relic. I remember the weeks that followed that day...we ran. We ran far away where we could continue my work. Yet, I felt you getting stronger so, I recruited a team. A large team. People who were empty and hopeless,", Shadow continued. "I remember losing control. For years you had me in chains. You were so tired. It was a shame really. To watch you just waste your time in those dark rooms, waiting for something to happen. One day though, you let go for moment and I had you." 

"I'm not-" 

"Going to let that happen again? Hm? Was I right?", Shadow chuckled again, sending chills up Garroth's spine. "Trust me Garroth. I'm a patient person and the people waiting for us are too. I'm never letting you go because, you're the best relic I've ever had. Because of you, I don't need a holder. You are my relic and holder, at the same time. Thanks to you, I will finish what I started centuries ago." 

"What's that?" 

"Laurance explained it many years ago. A world where the big people get to be the little guy for a change." 

That didn't make any sense to Garroth. All he knew was that it wasn't fair.

"So you think it's fair for people to be picked on? You're some hero Ro'Meave..." 

"That's not what I meant!" 

"Face it Garroth. You're cracking and soon enough, you'll end up just like me."