Chapter three

Exactly a week since Shaan has moved in with his new family. They all seem to be extremely kind to him. All except Madhu, who openly expresses her dislike to him, and her mother Chanda, who only pretends to like him. But Shaan senses the dislike in him too.

After breakfast, Shaan walks to his parents room. He slowly walks in and sees Nevideta crying silently.
'Why are you crying, Mama?' Shaan asks her.
'It's nothing. Aren't  you ready for your first day at school?' She procrastinates.
'I'm ready. But you don't seem so happy. You can trust me,' he says, wiping her tears away.
'I'm sure I can trust you. But it's grown up stuff, you won't understand,' she says.
'I'm a really smart boy, aren't I? You said so yourself. So, why can't you tell me this much?' He asks her.
'You're my new son, and I already love you a lot. But I spent so many years not being able to have my own children, it used to hurt me a lot. And I was just reminded about it, and it made me cry,' she explains.
'So, you want to have your own children?' Shaan asks.
'Not anymore. Aren't you my child?' She smiles. He takes her hand and places it on her belly.
'Do you believe that all things are possible for God? And all things are possible for those that believe?' He asks her. She nods with much skepticism.
'Then don't be afraid. I have faith today, that by all means possible, you will soon have your own child,' Shaan says. Nevideta bursts out laughing that there are more tears in her eyes.
'You're so cute,' she says, pulling his cheek. 'Come now, let me take you to school.'
'Don't you believe me, Mama? I'm telling you today that without faith it is impossible to please God. And whatever we ask him, in the name of his son, according to his will he hears us and will fulfill all our desires.'
Nevideta is a bit confused. But she still smiles.
'I believe you.'

As the days pass, Shaan's parents are amazed at how good his grades are. Madhu becomes even more distant to Shaan, but her brother, Ranveer, becomes really good friends with him. As well as Putchki, a workers daughter in the mansion.
He attends basketball classes, and picked out a new horse he named Goofy.

As the whole family is sitted at the dining table, Nevideta comes out rushing towards them, Neil following behind.
'Mother, I can't believe it. Look at this.' She shows Grandmother Tanu some paper. Everybody stares at her in common confusion.
'What is it now?' Chanda rolls her eyes, only Shaan notices this.
'Nevedita, is this true? Are you just pulling my leg? Tell me you're not?' Grandma Tanu asks, tears forming in her eyes.
'It's true mother, I'm pregnant,' Nevideta cries. Everyone around the table gasps in surprise. Well, except for Shaan. He was expecting that any one of these days, he would hear such news. His faith had served him well.

Nevedita's eyes immediately move towards Shaan. She walks up to him and hugs him.
'Thank you so much, Shaan. This has all happened because of you,' she says to him.
'What? Is Shaan the baby's father?' Ranveer asks.
'Silly boy, how can a ten year old be a father?' Madhu smacks his back.
'No, but if it wasn't for Shaan's faith and prayers, this wouldn't have happ...' Nevideta starts, but Shaan stops her.
'I did nothing at all. It's only God that accompanies his word,' he says.
'This god that he always speaks about. He doesn't even exist. How can he be responsible for your pregnancy?' Chanda asks in annoyance.
'God does exist, aunty. He is...' Shaan starts.
'Oh, please. Are you going to lecture me on God now?' Chanda cuts him.
Nevideta clears the air by hugging Shaan again.
'Thank you,' she whispers.