Chapter eight

'Neil, where are you going with all those bags? What are you doing?' Nevideta asks Neil, who has just stopped in his tracks next to Shaan and their suitcases. He decides to ignore her and takes Shaan's hand instead.
'Neil! I'm speaking to you,' she says. He turns towards Nevideta bitterly.
'I and my son are leaving from here. It seems to me that my son isn't welcome in his own house. And if my son isn't welcome, then that too goes for me. How many more lies will you Chanda put up against him? Tell me,' he says.
'I had nothing to do with what happened this morning. You saw how I defended Shaan infront of you and everyone. I love Shaan,' Nevideta cries.
'Oh, please, spare me that. I very well know that Chanda has been instigating you against a poor innocent boy. Simply because now you have your own son. Remain here. Stay with Chanda. Let her become your new husband. Since my brother, her husband, is now dead, she is free to marry anyone she wishes. So, go ahead. Marry her. Have many children, and forget about me. Keep this house, that's what you want, right?' Neil says to her, bittterly.
'Neil, please. Let's talk about this. Don't leave like this. I need you,' she cries.
'And I needed to stay with a woman that has love in her heart. What happened to you, Nevi? Our relationship was never based on love, but still, I made you my friend. I was confident that even if everyone else would reject Shaan, you wouldn't. But here you are, conspiring against a ten year old. This is just not done,' Neil cries.
'Shaan, tell your father how much I love you. Tell him not to go, please.'
'Leave Shaan out of this. Let's go, Shaan.'

'This is it, are you ready? Our flight is in ten minutes. We'll go away from all this drama. It will be you and I against the world,' Neil says to Shaan, who has been quiet ever since the morning's incident. He sits quietly next to Neil for the next five-minutes.
'Father?' He finally speaks.
'Yes, Son?'
'You should let me take this flight on my own. I can go stay elsewhere. But please, don't go away from my Mama and little brother,' Shaan says, tears strolling down his red cheeks.
'Shaan...'
'Rhidoy and Nevi Mama need you more than I do. Didn't you say that I'm a big boy now, a smart boy? I can take care of myself. My God is with me. But Rhidoy, he's just a little baby. I could never forgive myself if Rhidoy would grow up without a father all because of me. Send me to a boarding school. We'll meet during holidays. You can visit me whenever you want. Just go back.'

'You want to go away from me?' Neil asks Shaan.
'No. I... I want to stay with you more than I want anything else. But if I stay with you then there will always be more problems. You go back home. Take care of Nevi Mama and Rhidoy. I will never forget you, father. We'll always meet. But I won't let my brother suffer because of me. Never!'