Chapter twelve

'If you don't eat anything, how will you recover faster?' Shaan asks Neil. He sits on the bed next to him, trying to force him to at least eat something heavy.
'Don't procrastinate, Shaan. I heard everything,' Neil says, referring to the drama that went on when he arrived.
'Don't worry, Dad. Everything is now okay. We've all made peace with each other,' Shaan says.
'If you insist. I trust your lies as much as your judgements. Even when you lie, you tell the truth,' Neil laughs. 'I missed you, son. I could only hear of you on the news, and see most of your pictures on the internet. Shaan Khana Mazumdar, young and successful. I'm proud of you, my boy. I really am. But I'm glad that my sickened body can be used as an excuse to have my son closer to me. Has Rhidoy returned from school? He's just like you. Following your every footstep. I stopped being his father when he became more aware of your presence in his life.' They share a good laugh.
'I'm glad to be back, Father.'
'Say, there's something else I have to tell you. I should have told you a long time ago, but... anyways. Your sister is going to be here soon,' Neil says, surprising Shaan.
'My sister? I don't get it...'
'It's a long story. But she'll be here in a couple of days. I know this family won't receive her too well. But I know you and Ranveer will. Please, take care of her. She's a really beautiful girl. If she wasn't your sister I would have gotten you two married,' Neil chuckles.
'Dad, please,' Shaan rolls his eyes.
'Anyways, speaking of marriage. You're not getting any younger. When will you bring a girl home? I'm about to die. Rhidoy is far from that zone. So, I deserve to at least see my daughter-in-law and grandchildren, am I right?'
'Don't speak like that. You're not going to die, father. Everything will be okay. Have faith in God. Have faith in Jehova.'
'But can I at least get a grandchild soon?' Neil asks, causing Shaan to almost choke.
'That is why I'm telling you to remain alive. Long enough for Rhidoy to have children,' Shaan laughs.
'What about you?'
'I'm not interested in those things. I'm not interested in women. In fact, I don't believe in the love between a man and a woman. Not for me. I've never felt the way people who are supposedly in love always claim to feel. Like their worlds have stopped. But for God I've felt beyond that. But I don't think I'll ever feel that way for a woman.'
'You're still young. When she comes it won't be easy for her to come in. I know this because I know you. But she's going to be a feisty one. And eventually she'll win you over,' Neil smirks, wiggling his eyebrows like little waves and making Shaan feel awkward.
'That's not going to happen. Anyways, I can't wait to meet my sister.'

Shaan lies on his bed facing the ceiling. Nothing goes through his mind. He refuses to think about what happened earlier in the day. He had saved Chanda and Nevedita, but what if they still don't appreciate him? What if... never mind. He's not going to think about anything. But the thoughts still come. Will Nevideta ever accept him? That's all he has ever wanted. He looks at the picture of his late mother, Ragani Patel, on his nightstand. He was hoping that he'd see her again through Nevedita. She was so nice to him in the beginning. She never let him miss his mother, and now she's... never mind.

Just then there's a knock on his door.
'I'm coming.' He shoots out of bed to answer the door. His eyes almost fall off when he sees Nevedita standing at the door. He tries to speak but nothing comes out. She's standing infront of him with a tray of food in hand, a smile plastered across her face.
'Won't you let me in?' She asks him, snapping him out of his daze. He opens the door to let her in, still with his mouth slightly dropped.
'May I have a sit?' She asks him. He nods his head.

'Shaan, I know that you're confused and you're wondering why I'm here,' she starts after taking a sit on his bed. He sits down at quite a distance from her, but she comes closer with the tray on her lap. 
'I... I... don't know where to start, Shaan. Today you have proven to me what I've been trying to deny for so many years. I took so much time loathing you for no reason at all. I let my greed get the better of me. I hardened myself so hard that I didn't recognize myself. Even my own husband changed rooms because he couldn't stand me anymore. I...' Tears form in her eyes. Shaan is tempted to console her, but something in him pushes him to resist the urge.
'I... I... was always tormented by the questions my head always asked me. Saying, why do you hate Shaan, when all he has done is love you? And I found no answer. Either way that emotion still persisted. Even when at that age you were capable of sending me my husband back, and Rhidoy, his father, I was still blinded. Seeing Neil... seeing Neil in the condition he's in, lying on that bed so helplessly and hopeless, I started to wonder what life really is about. Can I tell you something? I won't lie, and please don't tell anyone. I... I suffer from HIV. Yes, I do. And now more than ever I fear death. I feel it moving at my doorstep. Neil and I don't have a long future ahead of us. And when I saw you truthfully trying to cover up for what I caused Madhu to do to you, at that moment I knew that I'm an awful person. I shouldn't have caused you so much pain, especially keeping you away from your father. Letting you be without parents in that boarding school. I hate myself so much, Shaan. See, Rhidoy has always wanted to follow in your footstep, and today if I've ever wanted him to be like anyone, then that person is you. I'm going to die soon, and I only started to seek for who exactly would take care of my Rhidoy. I haven't seen anybody but you, Shaan. You could be a better parent to him at 10 years than I could ever be in a lifetime. I don't want to bother you with my boring story. I don't have the right to ask you for anything, Shaan. But let me please ask you to take care of my Rhidoy. You're the only person who can be both a father and mother to him. Please, Shaan. Please...'
'Please, don't embarrass me by further apologizing or begging. I won't forgive you...' Shaan says, striking Nevedita's heart.
'I won't do so because I have nothing to forgive you for. And I would take care of Rhidoy any day. Even if you hadn't asked me to,' Shaan adds.
'Ive failed as a mother, I've failed as a wife, as a daughter and daughter-in-law. I've...'
'No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. But what matters most is us fixing those mistakes. I don't resent you, Mother. That's right. I've always considered you to be my mother and that will never change. I've always loved you, that too won't change. Forget about the past. You might believe that you've failed in all those aspects, but God doesn't see you like that. Every second of the breath you have is what you value most. Knowing that the number of seconds don't matter, they're just enough for you to repent and become the person you want to be. And as for being a wife, I know father will always accept you back. All you probably have to do is ask for his forgiveness. Pour out how you really feel. Knowing him, I'm sure he'll let you in,' Shaan says. Nevedita's glassy eyes smile at him. She puts the tray down on the bed and quickly pulls him into her arms, running her hands through his hair.
'My son,' she cries. She pulls away from the hug and kisses his hands and face uncontrollably, making Shaan happier than he has ever been. All the awards and credit he's ever gotten for being successful in the business industry has never felt as good as this moment. He was just hoping he wasn't dreaming.
'Come on, Mom. Don't embarrass me. What is this?' Shaan asks, referring to the tray of food.
'I remembered the first time you came here. You really enjoyed my chicken curry and flatbread. So, I made it specially for you. I didn't add anything bad inside. I can taste it for you first,' she says, directing her hand towards the flatbreads. Shaan's hand stops her halfway. He nods at her softly.
'I trust you,' he says. And deep in his spirit he knows that Christ said, even if he drank a deadly poison, it would not hurt him. Either way he doesn't distrust her intentions. He sees it in her eyes. She can't be lying.

Just then Rhidoy comes in with his bag over his shoulder.
'Family,' he sings, sitting himself between Shaan and Nevedita.
'My two favorite sons,' Nevideta pulls both Shaan and Rhidoy's chins.