Chapter twenty one

ł my sister. And now you're telling me that you love me. That's... that's insane. That's crazy. I don't feel the same thing and I never will.'
'Shaan, please listen to me,' Paula begs, reaching out for Shaan. He takes a step back.
'No, you listen to me and listen well, I didn't want to go down this lane but you're leaving me no choice. For as long as you're going to keep being... crazy. For as long as you're still carrying these feelings around with you then please, please don't come anywhere near me. I really don't want your feelings to intensify. The only way for you to get over them is for you to stay away from me.' He watches her develop teary eyes. He then turns around to leave.

'Paula, my daughter. Where have you been? See, you're now neglecting your dying father,' Neil scolds Paula as she stands at the door to his room.
'I've been feeling so lonely. All my children have abandoned m... Paula? Are you crying?' He asks her. She stands still, staring at him, finding it hard to contain herself. She runs to him and gets into his arms as he sits up on the bed.
'My dear, what's wrong? Who hurt you? Did anyone say anything that...' Neil gets visibly agitated.
'Neil...' She tries to speak but no words come out.
'Paula, talk to me. What happened?' Neil keeps asking his weeping daughter.
'I don't think I can do this anymore. I...'
'Do what? What's wrong?'
'I have to tell you the truth. I... I didn't want to hurt anyone, Dad. I don't. But... Dad, I... I fell in love, Father,' she cries.
'Really? Is that why you're crying? My sweet daughter has fallen in love and yet she's crying. That's a beautiful thing, dear,' Neil smiles, finally relaxing.
'No, it's not. I don't know how to tell you. I... I..'
'Shaan is a wonderful match for you,' Neil smiles, leaving Paula tongue tied.