Chapter nine

It's now the seventh year ever since Shaan left Mumbai for London. He left everything and everyone behind. But he went with his God. He made the best grades of all time, earned many awards, not just academically, but in the sports world too. He developed a passion for basketball, and scored most of his school's trophies.
And today, after so many years, for the very first time, Shaan has stepped into his old house. Just as he expected, no one except his father and his little brother Rhidoy were there to welcome him. He only has a few days to spare in India, and wants to make use of every second in order to enjoy his Neil and Rhidoy's company.
To everybody else, he doesn't exist. At least grandmother Tanu hugged him once. And Ranveer sat with him for a chat. Much to his sadness, Putchki wasn't there. She would have been the happiest to see him despite the years and the distance. She would never forget about Shaan. There's always been a warm place for him in her heart, just as in Rhidoy's. Every year Neil would bring him to London to visit Shaan. And he always spoke of Shaan as his hero and best friend. Shawn is everything to Rhidoy, even more than his Nevideta Mama is. And that truth always hurt Nevedita, despite Chanda always telling her that Rhidoy is just a seven year old boy. He knows nothing about what he's saying or thinking. But Nevideta always knew that Shaan would play a huge role in the destruction of her son. Already, Shaan has gifted him a Bible. One that Neil forbids her to take away from him. And Rhidoy makes sure he reads it everyday. And when he doesn't understand, or is unable to read the words, he always video calls Shaan, his hero, his best friend.
Over the years, Nevedita's feelings towards Shaan never disappeared. Nor did they remain the same, but they grew worse everyday. She never hated him to begin with, in fact, you could say she loved him. But Chanda always found a way to instigate her against Shaan for her own benefit. Her plan was always to use Nevideta to get rid of Shaan. That way her own kids, Madhu and Ranveer would wipe out Rhidoy, and inherit everything. And Nevedita, being so naive and gullible, entertained everything.

The night Neil decided to leave with Shaan, abondoning her and her son, that moment she was certain that she hated Shaan. Always managing to disregard the fact that Shaan sent Neil back to her and Rhidoy, as if she was bewitched. What had become of such a good woman?
Neil came back home, and although he never loved Nevedita, at least they got along. But ever since Shaan left that house, Neil hardly ever slept in his own house. Nor payed much attention to her. And in her head, the whole scenario was Shaan's fault. All of it.

'Shaan? Rhidoy left some of his toys in that room there.' Nevideta points directly at Madhu's door. 'He didn't pack up after playing. That silly kid,' she chuckles. 'Please, go and check,' Nevedita, for the first time after her weak welcomes, says to Shaan. Shaan feels happy that his Mama finally spoke to him a word more than three or four. He smiles at her before running to the room she pointed to. He enters it with a frown. The room is rather... girly.
'This isn't Rhidoy's room. Why would he play with his toys here?' He asks himself, eyeing the toys scattered on the pink carpet. As he picks them up, his cousin, Madhu appears next to him.
'Let me help you,' she says, picking up the toys with him.
'I didn't get a chance to properly welcome you. But I'm glad you're back home. The house wasn't the same without you. I really missed your presence,' she says, throwing her arms around him.

When she pulls away, she starts to tear her skirt, but with a smile on her face. She messes her hair up, and pulls down the arm of her shirt.
'What are you doing?' Shaan asks her. She smiles and gets closer to him. She causes him to drop the toys then starts yelling.
'Mother! Mother. Help! Help!'