Chapter five

Everybody is attending one of the annual rituals and prayers they usually observe at the mansion. Shaan stays in his room reading his Bible and completing his school work. He suddenly feels thirsty and decides to go get himself a glass of water from the kitchen. As he's walking past all his family members and guests who are standing around a fire, the priest suddenly asks for the family's eldest son. Neil, immediately spots Shaan walking past them calmly. Chanda sees him and looks at Neil. He tries to tell the priest that the family's eldest son cannot perform the final ritual, keeping in mind that Shaan does not like to associate himself with other customs and religions. Chanda cuts him off and interferes, calling Shaan's name out loud.
'Shaan, come here, my boy. You need to perform the final ritual,' she smiles, knowing fully well that Shaan will be unable to perform the ritual.
Shaan freezes in his steps. The guests stare at him expectantly.
'Shaan, didn't you hear me? Come here, Son. Perform the rituals. After all, you are the family's eldest son, right?' Chanda smiles.
Shaan slowly walks towards everyone in confusion. Chanda stands up from the pillow she sat on the floor with and picks up a small round tray. He hands it over to Shaan.
'Go on,' she says.
'I... I...' Shaan stutters, looking everyone around him.
'You what? Everybody is waiting for the eldest son of this family to perform the last ritual. Only you can do it. So, go on,' Chanda tries to persuade Shaan.
'I'm sorry, I can't do it,' Shaan says. The crowd gasps in astonishment. The people start whispering among themselves.
'You will have to do it,' Chanda says, taking Shaan's hand and pulling him towards the direction of the fire.
'I won't do it,' Shaan says, pulling his hand away.

'Why do you want me to do it when you know very well what my religious choices are? Please, don't ever ask me to do something like this again.' He puts his hands together.
'You can do whatever you want, anybody can. I don't have a problem. But, please...'
'Enough, Shaan!' Nevideta stands up, pressuring herself to appear much angrier than is necessary.
'How dare you speak to your elder like that? Perform the ritual or else I'll...' She glares at helpless Shaan.
'If Shaan says that he won't perform the ritual then let him be. Ranveer can perform the ritual,' Neil says, appearing from behind Shaan. Shaan looks up at him with grateful eyes, and he smiles at him.
'But, Neil, the ceremony...'
'Shaan, don't worry, go to your room, okay?' Neil cuts Nevideta off. Now she has a real reason to be angry, after all, because of an illegitimate son her husband cut her off infront  of everyone. And if there's something Nevideta hates, then it's to be embarrassed infront of anyone.
Shaan sits in his room restlessly. And soon enough Nevideta storms into his room with an angry face.
'You are no longer in South Africa. You're in a new family. You have to adapt to the things that take place here,' she says to Shaan.
'My beliefs aren't what they are because of South Africa or any other land. I would still be what I am if I was born among wolves,' Shaan says respectfully.

'I forbid you to speak of your religion in this house. I...'
'And I forbid you to forbid him from doing so,' Neil says, standing at the door.
'Nevedita, why don't you understand? Everybody's spirituality is dear to them. He was born and raised a Christian. Leave him.'
'What about all the other rituals that the eldest son has to perform? We have to respect our customs too. We will not compromise because of an illeg...' Nevideta starts.
'A what? Say it,' Neil says, glaring at her.
'I opened up to you years ago. I let you know that I had a son. You happily pressed on me to bring him here. You wanted to see him and spend time with him. You wanted to be his mother. Yet, even today you consider him an illegitimate son?' Neil asks with pain filled eyes.

'What? Shaan is your biological son?' Chanda asks hysterically. She runs to the living area dramatically. The whole family, even the servants gather there to see what new thing Madam Chanda was making a fuss about now.

'Tanu, did you know that Shaan is actually brother-in-law Neil's biological son?' She says to grandma Tanu, shocking her.
'What? Shaan? Neil, what is she talking about?' Grandmother Tanu asks Neil.
'It's time you all new the truth. Shaan isn't adopted. He... he... Shaan is my son. I had him before I got married to Nevedita,' he says, feeling quite guilty. But his eyes fall upon his innocent son's face, and a new emotion strikes him.

He walks towards Shaan and makes him stand infront of him and everybody else.
'I spent so many years craving the affection of my son. Unable to bring him here because I was afraid of what society would say. But not anymore. Shaan is a really smart boy. A beautiful boy. He stands for what he believes in. He's just at such a tender age. He is my son whom I love dearly. And the world has to know this. That Shaan Khana Mazumdar, is a true... Mazumdar,' he says.

'This child of yours embarrassed us infront of everybody today. He dared to disrespect our customs and traditions...' Grandmother Tanu says. Her words like an itch in both Neil and Shaan's ears. She had been so nice towards Shaan up until now. Neil is surprised at how fast people can change.

'My son has far more respect than most people have in this house put together. He has more honor and integrity than I have in a finger,' Neil defends him.

And the conversation keeps being thrown back and forth between the family members to the point where Neil raises a hand at Nevedita. Everybody's eyes widen.

'You have never raised a hand on me, and today because if this boy you...'
'Do not refer to him as this boy. He is my son. And yes, I have never raised a hand on you before, just like I had never realized what kind of person you truly were. And now I'm certain that even if I'm no magician, I know that if I had been given any other choice by my parents to choose whom I wanted to marry... then that woman wouldn't have been you,' Neil says, once again shocking everyone. Tears form in Nevedita's eyes. Is it anger or dissapointment?
She runs into her room in tears. And that room is a very silent witness to the hate she know feels towards Shaan.

Chanda follows behind her quickly.
'Did you see? What did I tell you? That boy would ruin all our lives. This is just the beginning, Nevi. We need to get him out of our way. He has already managed to turn Neil against you. And just like that he will take away our children's rights. He will leave us penny less. We need to do something very fast.'

'You're absolutely right,' Nevideta says. She stands up from her bed and walks towards the window.
'Today, I have really seen that he is an illegitimate son. Neil raised a hand at me because of that boy. We will get rid of him, but how?' She turns to Chanda.

'It doesn't matter how. What is important is that he is out of the picture. If we have to kill him, then so let it be,' Chanda says.
'What? Kill him? No, I cant do that. We can't kill that inno...'
'Hey! Watch your tongue. He is our enemy. We can't have mercy upon him. Fifteen years from now he will be running everything we have. Do you want to depend on him for food, clothing, vehicles, money etc? No, right? Just finish the job once and for all. Just...' Chanda stops when both she and Nevideta hear something drop on the floor. They immediately turn towards the slightly opened door.
'Chanda! How could you forget to close the door?' Nevideta scolds her, running towards the door. She looks around and sees nobody.
'Do you think somebody heard us?' She asks Chanda.
'No, I'm sure it's nothing. Just close the door and come help me hatch a plan.'