Chapter four

Shaan stands next to his little brother's cradle. Rhidoy is his name. The immense love he feels for him is visible in his bright eyes. He stares at the little bundle of joy as he sleeps peacefully. He smiles slightly.

'God bless you, Rhidoy,' he says, running a hand through his small hair. Nevideta walks into the room and takes Rhidoy from the cradle. Much to Shaan's unexpectedness, she gestures for him to come closer.
'I saw your sad smile. Please, don't feel bad because of all the attention Rhidoy is getting,' Nevideta says to Shaan, recognizing that with all the ceremonies going on in the house to welcome the new baby, Shaan must have felt lonely. 
'I don't feel bad, Mama. I'm very happy. He's my brother, of course I don't mind. I have homework, I'll go do it now,' Shaan smiles. He quickly runs out of the room and accidentally bumps into Chanda aunty. He stares up at him in fear, while she glares down at him with exaggerated fierce eyes. Her hand quickly makes way to grab his ear and she painfully pulls it.
'Don't you know how to watch where you're going?' She scolds him bitterly.
'Sorry, Aunty,' Shaan apologizes with his head down. She gives him a dirty look before she pushes past him. Shaan remains standing there, watching her walk towards Nevideta and Neil's room.

Chanda walks into the room without knocking. She sees Nevideta nursing her baby and fixes a fake smile. Before Nevideta can notice her, she quickly puts on a frustrated face as soon as she hatches a plan in her mind.

'Sister-in-law,' Nevideta smiles. 'Why do you look so angry?'
'Angry? I'm furious and disappointed. Where in the world did my brother-in-law find that boy?' Chanda complains, sitting down on the bed next to Nevedita.
'What do you mean?' Nevedita frowns.
'Is it not that son of yours? Do you know, he bumped into me in the corridor and didn't even apologize. And when I looked away, he started laughing!'
'Shaan?'
'Who else? That brat is two faced, I tell you. Just wait and watch,' Chanda says. She takes the baby from Nevideta and kisses him on the forehead.
Shaan isn't like that,' Nevideta defends him.
'Oh, so am I the liar now? I'm telling you what happened and you're telling that he isn't like that?' Chanda cries hysterically.
'Come on, Chanda. I'm sure it's nothing.'
'You are blinded by his innocent face, Nevi. Don't you see? That outcast, that little brat, that boy, Shaan. He is going to take away everything from you. Look here, is he not the oldest son of the family now? He will take everything away from your son and future children. Not only them, but my children, my Madhu and Ranveer, they will also come out last. Think about it. He is the only heir to all the fortune. He will run everything and our children will come in last,' Chanda explains to Nevedita. She freezes in thought for a second. She sees Chanda's point, but chooses to ignore her.
'He's just a boy, Chanda. Relax.'

Shaan walks himself to his horse, Goofy. He smiles at him and caresses his smooth brown fur.
'You look so sad,' he hears a voice from behind him. He turns around to see his friend, Putchki.
'Me? I'm not sad,' he puts up a front.
'I can see right through you, Shatu.'
'Shatu?'
'Yes, that's my nickname for you. Do you like it?' Putchki asks.
'It's really cute,' he says, before turning back to his horse.
'Now tell me, what makes you so sad?' She asks.
'I'm not sad, Putchki.'
'Yes, you are. But let it be. You won't tell me anyways.' She attempts to walk away, but stops when Shaan starts to speak.
'I just miss my mother a lot. I miss South Africa. And Chanda aunty, she doesn't like me at all. Madhu too. Father is always busy with work. And Ranveer has his own friends. Grandma is always in her room. I... never mind,' Shaan says.
'What about Nevi Mama?'
'She's the best. She doesn't let me miss my mother. She always takes care of me,' he says. Tears form in his eyes. Putchki takes a step forward and wipes his tears away.
'Stop crying, silly boy. You cry like a girl,' she laughs, making him smile.