Chapter twenty six

'What is your problem, huh, Paula? The fact that you have a crush on your cousin?' Putchki questions Paula, who came to her apartment with a temper.
'Why would I like my own family member in that way? I have a problem with you making stuff up. And I'm sure you spilled that whole pot of food on purpose.'
'Listen, Paula. You're a girl just like me. I like your brother a lot. Ever since we were just kids. I never forgot about my Shatu. You're his cousin, I'm sure you want your cousin to start a family someday. I really like Shaan. And I just wanted to get some alone time with him. Yet, you seem angrier than you should be,' Putchki says.
'Stay away from Shaan.'
'Why, are you jealous of me liking your cousin?
'No, Putchki. I just don't like you. Nor do I trust you.'
'Really? I think I'm more fit to say that, don't you think? I mean, I've been like a member of that family ever since I was younger. Although I got adopted into a new family and stopped staying there, I always drop by whenever I want. Unlike you, I'm much more a family member to anyone in that house than you. In fact, I don't think you belong to that family. In fact, I think you're an imposter,' Putchki says.
'You don't know what you're talking about.'
'Oh, I do know. I know more than you think. You can never be my sister-in-law, and that's because you're an outcast. You don't belong to that house. You're nobody's daughter,' Putchki smirks, earning a red hot slap across the face.
'How dare you...' Putchki starts. 
'Don't you ever say that again!'
'Why not? Even Shaan says it. How do you think I know that you're not siblings? Why do you think I consider you a threat? Shaan tells me everything. I'm his best friend. I know everything about you, Paula. And I also know that Shaan would never like a woman like you, not if he's in his right mind. You have no father, no mother, nothing. You're no one. You think that Shaan doesn't believe in love? He only said that because he wanted to get you off his back. But unfortunately for him, you're just like a bug. You're that stain that won't disappear. You have a lot of nerve coming here.'

Paula remains dumbfounded after hearing Putchki say all that about Shaan.
'Shaan isn't like that. He... you're nothing but a liar.'
'You're free to believe whatever you want. I might be a liar, but Shaan is the biggest one. And it's not my poor Shaan's fault that he has to be double-faced, you really leave him no choice. Oh, I still remember his breath of relief when I told him that you weren't feeling well and that you said that it's okay for us to go on with the dinner. And he... he almost burst out laughing when your pot of okra spilled. He was so grateful to me. He even knows that I spilled it on purpose. Let me keep the rest from you. Or else you'll cry.'

Paula silently picks up her handbag from Putcki's sofa and walks out her door.
Like the walking dead she walks down the busy streets of Mumbai. Arriving near a bench, where she feels suffocated by all of Putchki's words, she slowly sits herself on the bench and let's the tears out.

Still as the walking dead, Paula walks into the mansion and bumps into an angry Shaan. She refuses to say anything to him and decides to walk past him, but stops when he grabs her hand. He limps closer to her.
'You know, Paula, now that we know that you're not a part of this family, don't you think it's time for you to leave? Don't you think you've overstayed your welcome? Because I certainly do,' Shaan bites bitterly.
'What? I don't underst...'
'Leave, Paula. That's what I mean. I want you gone from here and our... my life. All you've done is bring one problem after the other. Why don't you just go?'
'What did I do now, Shaan?' Paula asks him with exhaustion and red eyes.
'What didn't you do?' He asks, then turns to walk away.
'Shaan, what happened?'
'Did you or did you not raise a hand on Putchki?'
'She's the one that...'
'Answer my question.'
'I did but...'
'I can't believe it. Then it must also be true that you went to her apartment and not only slapped her, but you also insulted her and accused her of purposely spilling that pot of 'treasure' that you prepared. You didn't just stop there, you also raised a lamp at her then sent it crashing to the wall. And you know what? That lamp meant an awful lot to her,' Shaan says.
'What? I didn't do any of that. In fact, she's the one...'
'I'm not going to listen to you.'
'But Shaan, I didn't even see a lamp.'
'So are you calling her a liar?'
'Yes, I am. She's just...'
'Putchki is my friend. And I won't allow you to dirty her name like that. She's not a liar, I know her. She would never lie to me. I'd believe her if she told me the earth isn't round. Unlike you, Paula. Just go. I've really had enough of you.'

Paula sits on her bed and quietly packs her bags. She tries her best to hold back the tears, but the more she tries the harder it gets. Putchki's words resonate in her ears. Shaan's words resonate in her ears. Something she ain't got control over. Slowly but surely she manages to pack everything that belongs to her and heads out the mansion. Refusing to look back.
After she gets into her old hotel room back in London, she runs to the shower and cries her lungs out. Its hard to tell whether most of the liquid running down her body is more of her tears or the tap water.
Why did Shaan's words hurt her so much? It wasn't just him asking her to not just leave the mansion, but also his life. Not just being reminded that she has no parents, but... but... no!

'Not anymore. I... I won't cry. I can't cry anymore. All of these things aren't worth me crying for. I... I have to take control of my life. I have no one. But Shaan... he... he spoke to me about Jesus. And at that moment when he spoke to me about him, there was something about what he told me. I felt so secure and so well taken care of. Jesus. He'll have to be my family. That's what he said. That when everyone has abandoned you,mwhen everyone has forsaken you. When you have absolutely nothing and no one, then... then just remember that there's a God. There has to be a God. Or else... or else what do I have to live for now? Yes... yes, I know where to find him.'
She runs through her things in search of a Bible. She finds one among old books she hasn't touched for ages. She blows the dust off and clings onto it like her life depends on it. She turns to a random page, Psalm 23.

'The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.'

'The Lord is my shepherd. The Lord is my shepherd. The Lord is... my... my shepherd. The...' Paula repeats over and over until she falls asleep.