Chapter twenty two

'No, it's not. I don't know how to tell you. I... I..'
'Shaan is a wonderful match for you,' Neil smiles, leaving Paula tongue tied.

'You... who told you that it's Shaan... that... I don't understand,' Paula stutters.
'I was at the terrace. I heard everything you told him,' he smiles.
'Everything? You...'
'I know that you and Shaan aren't siblings. I just didn't know that you also knew the truth. I understood everything,' Neil confuses Paula.
'But you... so, you knew all along that I wasn't your daughter. Why did you and Mom keep it from me?'
'She also doesn't know that I knew all along, Paula.'
'So, what happened? How did you know? Why did I only find out last month? I don't get it,' Paula cries.
'When Sue called me and told me that she was expecting my child, I knew that she wasn't being honest. When I overheard her talking to her sister's doctor. I wanted to confront her but when I saw you... I wanted to care for you. You were my best friend's daughter. I owed him my life. I wanted a reason to keep you close to me. And Sue's claim of you being my daughter provided a perfect opportunity. Of course, I demanded a DNA test. I wasn't the perfect father for you, Paula. I was always away. But I always considered you my daughter. And you still are. And you know what? I'm glad that you like Shaan. He's the perfect match for you,' Neil says. Paula gets into his arms again and stays like that for a while.
'Shaan doesn't want anything to do with me.'

'That's to be expected. You not being my sister won't change anything, Paula. Nothing at all,' Shaan's voice startles both Neil and Paula. He glares at them for a while. Neil is about to speak but Shaan walks away from the door.

'Don't worry, Paula. If you truly love Shaan then you'll win him over. Shaan doesn't believe in falling in love. What he doesn't know is that he can't dictate the heart. When one falls in love, he... he loses sense of everything. He won't see it coming. It's for you to capture his heart. Listen, I believe that Shaan's ideal woman is a woman that's like his mother. His biological mother. No offense Paula, but if you want Shaan then you'll have to become that ideal woman. I know that love accepts the other person for who they are. But for Shaan to accept someone for who they are he first has to see his mother in her. Then he'll realize that he loves her and not necessarily  the likeness of his mother in her. It's the only way to open the door to his heart. And for that you also... you also have to accept that Shaan has always wanted his mother with him. He thinks there can be no one like her. So he doesn't want to open his heart to anyone. Perhaps he's afraid of the problems he could have due to finding a bad woman, ' Neil explains.

'Neil, you know... I have never felt what I feel for Shaan,' she smiles with tears in her eyes.
'I've always felt like something was missing in my life. I thought that I wasn't made to be loved. But the truth is that when I met Shaan... I saw a different side of humanity. I...'
'I understand. That's how Shaan is. It's impossible for someone not to love him. Even though there have been people who hated him. But that's only because they're not right in the head. But the question is will you fight for this love, Paula? Will you fight?'
'I want to. But you heard what Shaan said. He doesn't feel anything for me.'
'Of course, he doesn't. That's because he still sees you as his sister.'
'How was his mother?'
'She was the most amazing woman I had ever met. She was a God fearing woman. I'm sure you picked up on that in Shaan. She was extremely beautiful. Kind and gentle. Shaan's best friend. She prepared him his favorite meals. Wait, that's it! I still remember Shaan's favorite dishes. The ones she used to make him. If you can recreate those meals, you'll definitely take one step closer. I'll give you the recipes, okay?'
'I don't know, Neil. I... I don't think I should take any further steps. I think it's best for me to just let go of Shantanu.'
'Only Ragani used to call him Shantanu. Everyone else calls him Shaan,' Neil smiles.
'Dad, you're not understanding me. When I came here I wanted to tell you everything so that Shaan wouldn't see me as his sister anymore. But now I don't think so anymore.'
'You're having doubts because you're now scared. Don't be afraid of love. Embrace it. Guess you're lucky that your documents only recognize Sue as your single parent and guardian.'