Chapter eighteen

Paula sits in her new room, wondering why Shaan hasn't come to drag her out of the room he wanted to take, or why he hasn't at least confronted her.

Rhidoy comes into her room and sits with her for a while. They spend time talking about almost everything and actually start to enjoy each other's company. But soon Shaan comes into her head again.
'Uhm, Rhidoy?' She stops him before he walks out of her room.
'Tell me something, you've told me so many interesting things about yourself. But you haven't told me about Shaan,' she says.
'Shaan? Well... I don't know where to start. But he's... he's my hero. He means the world to me. I would die for my brother, Shaan. He's the most amazing person I know,' he says before walking out.

'I hate this boy. Since when do I need to try to seduce someone to get them? I've tried so many times and yet he hasn't come around. What will I do now? I... I can't accept defeat so easily. I have to break Shaan no matter what. He's so close to Rhidoy and... Oh, why didn't I think about this earlier? I've been doing it wrong the whole time. Shaan won't fall if I go about it the way I'm doing. I need to get closer to him like the beloved sister he wanted. Then I'll catch him once I get to see his weak points. That's it! You're so stupid sometimes, Paula.'

Paula spends a patient week not running after Shaan much to his relief. That feels like a huge burden taken off his shoulders. All she does is politely greet him and pass. At first he was confused and suspicious of what game she was planning, and he still is. But another part of him believes the demons that possessed her have miraculously left her. Soon enough she breaks that trend and decides to speak to him now. She would have suffocated if she had to wait any longer. What she wants more than anything is to see that arrogant jerk at her feet. Eating from her palms.

Her approach got Shaan panicked. But after she explained to him that she doesn't see him in that light anymore, and that she understands that she was being childish and immature, that she wants to redeem herself and have the brother-sister relationship they're meant to have. Shaan hesitantly complies. Explaining to her that what she did shouldn't be repeated under any circumstances. Explaining to her under the Word Of God's light how immoral what she was doing was. She pretended to understand, while in reality she understood nothing!

'Can I ask you something? If you're free, I'd really like to go around Mumbai today. I haven't gone out since I arrived,' Paula smiles at Shaan after breakfast.
'Uhm, I don't have anything scheduled for a few hours. I can spare you that. But to be honest, I also don't know too much of India,' Shaan says.
'That's okay. We can discover it together.'
'I'm not sure that's a good idea. Why don't you ask Ranveer, Madhu or Rhidoy? I'm sure they wouldn't mind,' Shaan says, putting his empty glass in the sink. For some reason Paula gets teary eyes. Realizing that Shaan doesn't want her anywhere near him. Shaan notices this and decides not to pay attention. But as usual, tears always move him. He can't help but feel bad for waving her off like that.

'What are you waiting for?' He suddenly asks her.
'Oh, uhm, yeah. I'll ask Madhu,' she says.
'I'm talking about you not yet being ready. I'll just go get my jacket. I'll meet you in a sec,' he says as he walks out the kitchen. Paula stares at his shadow in surprise.
'Wow, that was easy,' she smiles. Wow, So there you have it. She's starting to understand how Shaan works. And the tea

'Are you ready?' Shaan asks Paula,
'Yeah,' she smiles. Just then Shaan recieves a text message. He gestures for her to give him a minute. While she nervously and eagerly waits for Shaan, she sees Putchki talking to Nevedita in the distance. As soon as Shaan is off his phone and before Putchki and Nevedita turn around, she quickly grabs Shaan's hands and runs with him confused.  
Nevedita and Putchki hear the noise and look around them. While Paula pulls Shaan into a corner and covers his mouth with her hand.
'Shhh, keep quiet,' she says. Soon enough her eyes fall on Shaan's confused eyes. They stare at each other for a moment. But the difference between their stares is that Shaan's one is innocent and confused. While Paula can't figure out why she can't get her eyes off his. When he shifts uncomfortably, she removes her hand from his mouth and they get out of the corner awkwardly.
'What was that about?' Shaan asks.
'I'm so sorry. I saw Putchki.'
'So?'
'Well, I figured that she came looking for you,' she answers.
'What's wrong with that?' Before Paula can answer his questions further, Putchki appears.
'Shaan! Where have you been? I was looking for you. You're supposed to help me with my application today, remember? Let's go, we'll be late,' Putchki says, completely disregarding Paula.
'Oh, you must be Paula. The new daughter of this family. I'm Putchki,' she introduces herself to Paula as she tucks herself over Shaan's shoulder.
'Nice to meet you, Putchki. But Shaan and I were about to go out,' Paula says, looking at Shaan.
'But Shaan and I have something really important to do. He promised he'd help my sister with her application process. It's due today and we can't miss it. I hope you understand,' Putchki says. Paula's eyes move from Putchki's to silent Shaan's.
'Sorry, Paula. I... I completely forgot. But we can still...'
'It's okay, Shaan. Don't worry. You can go,' Paula says. She then walks back to her room silently. Lately she's been having a lot of uncertainty issues. Like why she easily gets touched by Shaan's every move.