Chapter fourteen

Paula is not in her right senses at it is. She's constantly hitting her head because she can't seem to focus on unpacking her bags and cleaning her new room.
Her mind keeps bringing her to thinking about Shaan. Not even in a good way. Everything that Madhu told her about him disgusts her. She's wondering, how can he stoop so low as to pursuing his own family member for a romantic relationship? Disgusting!

Just then there's a knock on her door. She drops the clothes she has in her hands and runs to the door.
'Shaan,' she says softly in surprise.
'Hey,' he says.
'I just thought I could help you unpack your bags. And in the process we can get to know each other better. You know, since we're family,' he says. Paula's eyes squint in displeasure and uncertainty.
'I'm sure there are other people that need your help,' she spits with a large fake grin and sarcasm.
'But...'
'You can go chase other skirts, not mine, sir,' she bites, even she herself isn't sure why she's so mad at him.
'Why are you treating me like this? Are you still angry about what happened in London?'

'Tell me something. When I woke up I couldn't remember anything from after we got into the storage. The doctor told me that a young man saved me. What did you do to save me?' Paula asks with sass.

'Are you insinuating that I did something that I wasn't supposed...'
'Yes, since you love women so much, that you even chase after family members. Yet, you have a problem when they wear shorts and...'
'Where did you get all this?' Shaan asks, making Paula realize that she's said too much.

'I... I... well, I... I overheard the workers talking.' She says quietly.
'Maybe next time you should find out what the truth is before jumping into conclusions,' Shaan says, then walks away. Paula shuts the door behind him then rolls her eyes.

That night proves to be difficult for Paula to get shuteye. She keeps thinking about how much of a disgusting man Shaan is. She shoots up and sits up on her bed. Shaan just won't get out of her head. She decides to go to the kitchen for... something.

'Madhu? What are you doing here at this time of the night?' Paula asks Madhu once she pulls away from the fridge with a glass of juice in hand.
'I just got hungry. You too?' Madhu asks. Paula enthusiastically gets hold of Madhu's free hand and pulls her towards the island.
'Sit, sit, sit,' Paula sings. 'I have an amazing idea. Let's get Shaan's real nature out in the public. He can't just go around playing with innocent girls. We'll record him in the act. One of the times when he's trying to get close to you. Then we'll make it public. That will teach him a lesson,' Paula whispers, making sure no one can hear or see them.
'What? Are you insane? We can't do that!' Madhu hisses.
'Why not? He deserves it.'
'Wait, you actually believed what I told you? I was just joking.'
'What? You mean all that was a lie? I was tormeneted the whole day and night because of a lie?' Paula almost yells. Madhu quickly puts her glass down on the table and covers Paula's mouth with her hands.
'Shhh! I was only joking, but your idea isn't bad. He still deserves it. But him chasing me around is impossible. Shaan is like a stone. That guy isn't interested in women. I don't think he'll ever get married. All my friends are crazy about him, my beautiful friends. And he doesn't even look at them. He doesn't believe in love, I think.'

Madhu's words put aside her anger for a second.
'He doesn't believe in love? He is not interested in women? Ha! That's impossible. There's no man on this here earth that isn't interested in women. If that's the case, then he's interested in men,' Paula says.
Madhu almost laughs.
'Please, this is Shaan Mazumdar we're talking about. He isn't just any kind of man. He really doesn't like women. Just last week, aunt Nevideta wanted him to take a look at some beautiful women she picked out for him. He refused to even look at them.'

Paula thinks for a while. She grabs Madhu's hands and they tip toe to her room. She switches on the light and they both sit on her bed.
'I'll prove to you that Shaan is interested in women.'
'Paula, don't be delusional. I know Shaan, he will never fall for any woman.'
'Is that a challenge?' Paula lifts a brow.
'That's a challenge,' Madhu smirks.
Challenge accepted. I'll win this challenge and you'll owe 0,5% of all you own.'

'That's a lot, but it's worth it,' Madhu says.
'And you know who that woman will be?' Paula asks and Madhu shakes her head in confusion.
'His own cousin.'