Chapter 9

"Oh, good. You're dressed up already."

My mom peaked from my door as she eyed me with the outfit I was wearing. As I was sitting on my bed staring at myself at the full length mirror. I was wearing a peach summer dress that just reached mid thigh.

I was curious why my mom suddenly said that. Did she know I was going out?

"Your dad wanted us to have lunch outside." She said as she finally let herself come in.

"Lunch? Isn't that a bit late?" She was now standing in front of me, crossing her arms.

"Yes, but I haven't had lunch yet. Your dad's pretty busy in the office."

"On a Sunday?" I asked in disbelief. "Well, it's not like I don't know that." I quickly added.

"Let's go. Armond's probably arriving at the restaurant." She then turned around to leave. I followed suit, suddenly feeling down that our date will be cancelled.

I grabbed my phone from my purse and texted Remi. I realized I didn't have Keelan's number.

Me: Can you tell Keelan I can't go today? Something came up.

Minutes later, Remi responded. My mom and I were already on the way to the restaurant.

Remi: You should tell him instead. I'll give you his number.

Me: Rems, I'm with mom and dad. Please just tell him that something came up.

Remi: Okay, roger that.

I sighed. I'm already worried about what my father wants when he suddenly calls a family meeting. Not really but I know he's going to have a serious discussion during lunch.

We finally arrived and it's typical for my dad to choose an italian restaurant. We saw him already sitting in one of the restaurant's exclusive spots.

"Darling, have you waited long?"

"Just probably ten minutes." My father replied curtly. "Kyree. I'm glad you're here."

"Of course, dad." My mom sat next to him while I sat across my father.

The waiter came later on with the order as I realized that dad already ordered for us. We soon started eating. It didn't take long when my father finally started the conversation.

"Kyree, you're already in your final year in college. Any plans after your graduation?"

"I was planning to start low in the corporate world before making it big in our company." I planned this before to start at the bottom, probably away from my parent's prying eyes so I could have the time to continue my double life. Risky, I know but I didn't want to let go of what I love to do.

I hated my situation. I hated hiding and being secretive about it but I didn't have a choice.

"That's a good idea, honey. You gotta study what the people below could do. You will understand it better when you finally sit in your father's seat." My mother chirped in.

"Have you dated anyone recently, Kyree?" My father asked.

So this is where it's going. It's not about work.

"No, dad." I mused.

"Remember Nolan, dear? He has a son." I looked up to see my dad was talking to mom.

"You mean Nolan Hawkins? How could I forget such a nice man. Adriel, right? His son's name?" Mother asked.

"Yes. Kyree." I turned my attention to him. "I'd like you to introduce you to Nolan's son, Adriel. I assume you are going to the charity ball at the end of this month. I hope your mother didn't forget to tell you."

"Of course, dad."

It's really about marriage... again.

A few years ago, when dad realized that I was turning eighteen soon, he brought up marriage for the first time. I was the sole heiress of our family's fortune. He only wants what's best for his only daughter. But when he knew I had swayed to music and not to what he desired for me, that's when he started to question my position as his inheritor.

Remi, Mila and I were best of friends. Mila and I started being friends when we were just about seven. Remi started joining us during middle school. Unfortunately for dear Remington, he was chosen by my dad to be my marriage partner. It was our senior year of high school, the event of our lives that we couldn't forget. Somehow we find it a very funny memory for us now.

Our parents held a marriage meeting for us. Mila couldn't do anything and just stayed at home to wait for us. She was shit scared of my father. We couldn't do anything at all to stop it. Out of nowhere, Remi suddenly confessed that he was actually dating Mila and he loves her. I couldn't forget the look of our faces back then. All of us stopped eating our lunch and stared at Remi, stunned at his revelation.

Of course, I knew the truth. I knew he lied. But Remi saved me from such an awkward situation. I was thankful for that but I wasn't so sure for Mila though. She was going to slap him and she did when she found out.

His sudden confession was indeed successful. My parents stood back and let us go. Remi's parents were happy that they were dating. They both adore Mila and I. It felt like it's fine as long as Remi ended up with either of us. I was beyond happy that it ended well. As for Mila, she managed to agree fake-dating Remi. We didn't really convince her though. She's actually the one who suggested that they'll continue the act so our parents wouldn't doubt us.

Years later, here we are. I didn't know if they're still fake dating though. We never really brought it up in our conversation but I'm sure they are. Probably dating for real. I don't know. Like I said, we never really talk about it.

And years later, here we go again. I'm going to meet that Adriel guy and probably have that marriage meeting again.

I need to talk to Mila and Remi about this and perhaps execute some plan to ruin the future marriage meeting.