Chapter 12 : Let's See What The Night Can Do

Let's drive out to the desert at midnight~

My voice started out in falsetto. It was half heartedly low like almost near a whisper. I was careful not to reveal my voice. 

To dance in the dust of our headlights
And score some good seats for the sunrise~

I looked at each and everyone with their eyes and ears on me.

And get dressed up in clothes we don't mind getting messed up
When no one will know how to get us
We don't need the map, we'll just drive, drive, drive~

As the song progresses, the louder I get. My real voice was slowly coming out. I tend to underestimate how I love singing and music so much.

I wanna get lost with you
And hide out, out under the light of the moon
I wanna get lost with you~

I now forgot where I was, who I was facing. Everyone was staring at me in awe. Their jaws were hanging open. They were stunned but I ignored it and continued on my singing. Somehow I managed to look at the guy beside me. He was staring. His eyes were glistening from the fire that lit in front of us.

I returned his stare as I continued the song. My real voice was already revealed.

And see what it's like to spend the whole night
With you, just you
You, just you~

I looked at the others again, putting emotion to the song. They were so serious and thoughtful that I wanted to stop and ask why.

We can head North over the oceans of turquoise
Where after a while there'll be no noise
Set for the sound of our heartbeats beating on
And we'll stand in the Canyon alone
Singing our favorite songs
And wait for the words to return in the echo, echo, echo, echo, echo~

I turned back to Keelan again. My eyes softly closed and open.

I wanna get lost with you
And hideout out under the light of the moon
I wanna get lost with you
And see what it's like to spend the whole night
With you, just you
With you, just you
With you, just you
With you, just you~

My eyes shifted to the sky, realizing that this song I sang fitted so well with what we're doing. Only we're in a group travelling but this song would suit so well with lovers having a roadtrip, stopping by at every beautiful place nature could offer.

'Cause I wanna get lost
Let's see what the night can do
I wanna get lost~

I looked at him again. I don't know why I kept on looking at him but somehow my eyes drifted to him. It's like the song, the music wanted me to look at him.

Let's see what the night can do
Let's see what our hearts wanna do
I wanna know what it's like to spend the whole night
With you, just you
With you, just you
With you, just you~

I hit the last note and turned my attention to everyone. They didn't hide the fact that they were shocked. Their jaws hanging open. I could feel the silence in the night and hear the insects singing. My best friends were grinning, already expecting this kind of reaction. Ember was the one to break their daze.

"Wow." Ember clapped her hands and the rest followed.

I smiled. "Thanks."

"Damn. I didn't know you could sing, Kyree. Your voice was really beautiful. You sounded so amazing. You’re really good with the guitar, too." I have always thought Gavin was the first one to comment with how I was playing and I was right. “I think I’ll start to practice some Jason M songs.” He joked.

Chris whistled. "You're fucking good, girl."

Remi suddenly hugged me from the side. "I know right? This girl's my best friend."

"And my best friend." Mila added proudly.

"Why did you just show it now? Girl, you got some serious talent. Don't wait for another camping trip to show it." Jenny said.

I just laughed it off. "I don't think it matters. It's not going to be my career anyway." I answered.

"Well, that's a waste." Ian remarked. "If I could sing like that, I'm going to be a vocalist in a band." I stiffened at his statement. I unconsciously turned to Keelan.

Is he going to tell them... that I'm actually in a band?

Keelan didn't turn to me. He was staring at the fire instead.

"Me too." Ember second the motion.

"Can you sing another song again?" Chris asked excitedly.

"Not another Jason Mraz please." Ian added. Jenny was glaring at him while the rest of us chuckled, amused at his taunt.

---

I stare at the night sky again. I don't know why I kept staring at it. Probably because it was rare for me to see nights having a star festival. I'll probably tell Dustin and the others that I thought of a song about the stars, moon and the night sky.

"You keep looking up at the sky. Is there something wrong with it?"

Keelan asked behind me. I didn't notice him coming. Everyone was already inside the tent and probably now asleep.

"I'm admiring it." I said. He was now standing beside me. He was quiet for a while before speaking.

"I'm sorry."

"Oh so the devil knows how to apologize."

"Devil?"

"Yes." I finally looked at him. "Because I literally don't know what's inside that head of yours. I don't know when you'll drop that bomb and blow everything up."

"You think I'll tell everyone your secret?" He asked with no hint of emotion.

"I don't know, Keelan. Will you? I don't even know what you want from me." I said exasperatedly.

"You say that but you were happy enough to sing for everyone."

I turned away. "I got carried away."

"I don't know why you're keeping it a secret but if you don't tell me, I'll ask your friends instead."

I glared at him. "Are you threatening me?" I stepped closer to him. "What exactly do you want, Keelan? Are you enjoying the fact that you got a hold on me?"

He looked down at me. I cursed myself for being short. Why does he have to be so damn tall?

"Maybe, maybe not." His eyes travelled down to my lips, then back to my eyes. "All you have to do is tell me, sweetheart, and I won't tell anyone."

I stepped back. "It's not that easy. You don't know how complicated my situation is."

He stepped towards me. His height hovering me. "Maybe I'll understand if you just tell me."

I looked down not planning to tell him. He realized I wasn't going to budge so he let it go. I was relieved.

"Is it true then?"

I looked back up. His face was close to mine. I frowned perplexed at his question. He noticed I didn't know what he meant. "That you're not dating anyone?"

My frown deepened. "I'm not, Keelan. I don't know where you got that idea."

"You sure?" He made the distance impossibly closer.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "I swear if you're gonna ask that stupid question again, I'm going to fucking hit you."

"Can I kiss you?"

I stare at him dumbfounded.

"Ah... yes." I looked away while blushing. Not a second longer, I looked at him again.

He was grinning like a boy.