Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

When I came back to my room that night, I was surprised to see Malia sitting on my bed, looking down at the ground in thought.

"Hey," I softly greet her, walking further into my room. "Where have you been?"

"Talking to Peter," she answered briefly, I bite my lower lip nervously. It went silent between the two of us. "He's my father."

"Uh, yeah." I played with my hands, neither of us looking directly at each other. "You weren't the only one that was lied to, Malia."

"I thought they told you everything."

"Well, not everything." I took another step closer to her. "Do you know what that makes us?" Malia shrugs and stayed silent. "That makes us family."

"Just because we have the same last name doesn't mean we're family,"

"Hm, yes it does." I almost laughed at her stubbornness. "Listen, just because you're related to him, you're nothing like him."

"Maybe I am," she insisted, standing up. "That night I caused the car crash..."

"You mean when you were out-of-control on the full moon?" I questioned her.

"There's a part I didn't tell you about," Malia continued. "Right before we got in the car, my mother..." She pressed her lips together. "My adoptive mother, I guess... We got into a huge fight. I don't even remember what it was about, but... I remember what I said."

My voice softened, realising what she was about to say. "Malia."

"I said," her voice broke a little, tears forming in her eyes. "I wish you were all dead."

I took another step closer to her. "Killing doesn't run in a family," I know that's pretty hypocritical. But I have many examples in my family who hasn't killed. My mother and myself. Though, that's two out of the very little family we have now.

Malia chuckled. "Addison, stop trying to be optimistic, you know it does run in our family," I smiled warmly when she said 'our' family.

I let out a chuckle. "Oh, God, why do we have to have such a complicated family?"

I opened my arms, welcoming her in for a hug and she takes it. She's not a very huggy person and her taking my offer surprised me.

I wrapped my arms around her and she does the same thing for me. "I can't believe I have a cousin," she tells me and I pulled away. She shoves me gently. "And it's you."

"Funny," I rolled my eyes at her joke. "Hey, wanna have a sleepover? Allison and I used to have these all the time when we were kids-"

"Who's Allison?" Malia cuts me off and my mouth hung as soon as I realised the mistake. I closed my mouth and frowned.

God, I shouldn't have mentioned her. Now it's going to damper my mood. "Er," I stuttered out. "My, uh, other cousin. She past away last year."

"I'm sorry," she tells me genuinely. "Wait, is that the Allison I've heard everyone mentioned a few times? And, um, Kate's her Aunt?"

"Yup," I answered. I honestly didn't realise they talked about her, whenever I'm around them its radio silences about her.

"Addison?"

"Hm?" I turned to her some more.

"You completely zoned out," Malia informs me. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I answered quickly. "I'm fine-" Suddenly, as if God heard my prayers, a knock is heard from my door. A change of subject, perfect!

"Hey, Ads, I made hot chocolates downstairs." It was my Mum. I turned around and moving aside so I can stand next to Malia. My Mum smiles widely at her. "Welcome to the family, Malia."

Malia looks at me briefly but doesn't say anything. I quickly made a connection between them, they are both were-coyotes! "Malia, I know someone who can help control your were-coyote."

"Who?" Mum had asked and I looked at her, giving her this 'it's you, stupid', look. "Oh! Me!"

"Really?" Malia looked at Mum hopefully, eyes shining with interests.

"Of course!" Mum gushes. I knew she would love this since she can't technically teach me to learn control.

I smiled widely, I have a strong feeling they're going to get along just fine. "I'll meet you down there," I told them, they both nodded and walked out of my room, making light conversation with each other.

My mind wanted to wander back to Allison, but I couldn't help but still feel hurt. I missed her. She wasn't like a cousin, she was like a sister. She was that better sister.

Sometimes, I wish I could change the past and let it be me that died instead. I should've protected her like she protected Isaac. Speaking of the little bastard, he stayed with Mum and I for half of the time I was in France, then went to England because he claimed he knew a friend that lived there.

Jackson Whittemore, I think Isaac said his name was.

"Whatcha doing?" I looked up and saw Derek standing there.

"Thinking."

He smiled a little. "Careful, that's a dangerous place."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't worry, its nothing too bad."

He walked into the room, almost opposite me. "Wanna tell me what's up?"

I glanced down at the floor. "Uh, if the past was different."

"I think about that all the time," he admits. "I wish I brought you up as well. Watch how you've become the person you are today,"

"I'm still growing," I remind him, smiling a little. "Is this the time where we hug now, or..." He chuckled and brought me into a hug, I closed my eyes briefly, grinning against him.

"You guys coming or what?!"

We pulled apart. I moved past him and walked downstairs, where the rest of my family is.

A/N

Kinda just made this up lol