Ch. 18: The Ivory Seamstress

As one roams around the streets of Shin-Majima, one might notice a recurring insignia that's plastered all over the town: the letters "RED" in red text arranged in a stylized order.

Said logo in fact belongs to the conglomerate known as R.E.D. Corporation. A pharmaceutical company known for its advances in the research of psiogen and its effects on the human body. R.E.D. Corporation also owns Shin-Majima in a 50/50 split with the Japanese government, having lent a hand in the reconstruction of Majima City following its devastation in the wake of the years ago, back in 2020.

However, aside from those facts, R.E.D. Corporation's activities beyond the surface level are kept secret from the public. Not a single person in Shin-Majima truly knows what goes on within the mysterious yet enigmatic conglomerate.

There have been many rumors regarding R.E.D. Corporation's alleged illegal practices, such as inhumane PSI experiments on living human subjects, exploitation of the PSI-inflicted populace and multiple shady business deals, among others, but so far, none of which have been proven to be true or false.

For what its worth, what goes on within R.E.D. Corporation, stays within R.E.D. Corporation. And it seemed to many that it would stay that way for years to come.

However, nothing stays hidden forever...

SUNDAY
-Alleyway 11:24 PM-

Monday midnight in the alley of Shin-Majima, a young girl was running away frantically from a bunch of trenchcoat-clad men who were chasing her around. She had a rather pale complexion, red eyes, light blonde hair with pink highlights, tied into four sets of pigtails, and wore a black and pink cropped sleeveless hoodie, matching black, pink and white arm warmers, torn jeans and pink sneakers.

The girl ran and ran, until she ended up tripping and falling down on the hard concrete, and ending up grazing her knee in the process.

"Tch... damn it! Why now of all times..." Said the girl, as she checks on her scraped knee.

As the trenchcoat men close in toward the girl, she gets up and runs away from the suspicious-looking goons, eventually hiding beside a dumpster.

While checking on the wound on her knee again, the girl stares at her fingers. Upon close inspection, one may notice some strange, string-like substances wedged in between her fingers and nails.

Whatever it is, she definitely isn't a normal person.

"Wait... that's it." The girl thought, as she tugs on the string and pulls it away from her fingers.

The girl continues to pull on the string, but the thread keeps getting longer and longer. Eventually, she has a two-foot long bunch of string beneath her feet. With enough string, the girl proceeds to the next step.

Slowly but surely, the girl hid beside the dumpster as she patiently awaits for the trenchcoat-clad man to go near her direction. As soon as the trenchcoat man was near the dumpster, she immediately leaps up the dumpster and wraps the string from her fingers around the man's neck, before proceeding to strangle him.

The trenchcoat-clad man struggled to break free from the girl's grasp. However, the girl then latches himself to his back as the two of them were slipping away from the dumpster. The girl then pulls the trenchcoat man down the concrete face-up, her knees landing on his back.

After a few more tugs, the trenchcoat-clad man stopped moving, his vision slowly fading as he loses all consciousness. Eventually, the girl releases her grasp on the man, stands up and glances at him one last time.

"I'm sorry... but I have to do this." Said the girl. "For the sake of my freedom..."

"I'm coming for you sooner... just you wait." The girl thought.