Ch. 8: In the Eye of the Shadow

"Risa, it's time to call Rock over, because we found our next task." Said Kouya. "Our new goal... is to find out who is this shadow that lurks in the darkness!"

"Wait, you mean right now?" Risa replied.

"Well, if not now, then when?" Said Kouya. "We took the chance that the Chief gave us, and we won't let it go to waste."

"But... are you really sure about this, Kouya?" Risa replied. "We don't even know what kind of Irregular we're dealing with! What if we end up getting-"

"Chill out, Risa. Me and Rock will always watch over your back." Said Kouya.

"Kouya..." Risa replied, concerned.

"We'll be fine... don't worry." Said Kouya. "As long as we believe in each other."

"Well, that said... the real question is... how do we even get to find where this Irregular is?" Kouya replied.

Risa facepalms.

"Kouya..." Said Risa, exasperated.

-Seaside Pier 6:46 PM-

Kouya and the rest of Mugen spent the whole day snooping around for intel about the so-called "Shadow Irregular." However, they were unable to discover important info. Until they recieved a tip that the Irregular usually hangs around in the cargo pier near Majima Bay during the night.

The Majima Bay pier marks the landing dock of most cargo vessel ships that pass through said bay. It is usually locked down at night, but strangely enough, there appears to be a large hole in the chainlink fence, large enough to fit a teen-aged human.

Gingerly, the three teenagers sneak into the hole in the chainlink fence to enter the pier. The inside of the pier was is surrounded by many cargo containers from the various ships that have landed in the pier. The three youngsters walk around the place, searching for the Irregular.

"Kouya... are you... really sure we should stay in here?" Said Risa.

"We could run away... but it's too late for that." Kouya replied. "We can't give up just yet! We have to look further."

Eventually, they come across a small guardhouse with a small LED light illuminating the are around it. Kouya, Rock and Risa pass by the guardhouse, casting their shadows on the floor.

However, Kouya notices something strange about his shadow. Namely, how it seems to act independently, and doesn't follow his actions. He begins to make small actions to see if his shadow follows him around.

"Kouya... what are you doing?" Said Risa.

Kouya was about to answer, when suddenly, the arms of Kouya's shadow extend themselves, leaping out of the ground in an attempt to choke Kouya out.

Music: "Suffer" by Endo (Evolve; 2001)

"WATCH OUT!" Shouted Kouya.

Kouya leans back to try to evade the grasp of his own shadow. Meanwhile, Rock and Risa prepare themselves to fight, when they notice a mysterious figure coming out in front of them.

The mysterious figure turned out to be a teenager, appearing to be roughly 16 years old, wearing a black and purple hooded jacked, dark blue jeans and purple sneakers. No mistake about it, this is the rogue Irregular that Chief Hayashi was referring to.

"Who... who are you?!" Said Risa. "No... that power..."

"You're... the rogue Irregular!" Kouya added. "The one with the ability to manipulate their shadow!"

The silent rogue didn't reply, instead proceeding to extend his hand as Risa and Rock's shadows extend theirs to attempt to choke out the two as well.

Risa and Rock attempt to evade their shadows' attack, but they weren't as lucky, as their respective shadows managed to grab ahold of their necks. Kouya, meanwhile began to realize that he is barely able to move, his feet stuck to his current position.