Chapter 19

Looking forward, the black of the road seems to disappear into darkness. Fields and fields of grass as high as my waist lay on either side of me both disappearing until it looked as if they dropped off into nothing. I've been walking for an hour and feel like I've gotten as far as 12 feet. My shoes have long since been gone, and my feet are throbbing as I limp further, trying as hard as I can to distance myself from what I just came from.

My head throbs as I attempt to wrap my mind around everything that just happened. Everything had happened so fast, I barely had the time to process what was happening. 

The hulamori can basically become any human they want as long as they have blood and a voice sample. 

They have taken over past planets.

They are trying to take over the Earth.

Mickey is one of them.

They are now me. 

and headed to the hub.

Probably there already.

I stop walking and squeeze my skull in between my hands and bend over, crouching to the ground. How in a matter of a day has everything managed to go to completely wrong? Jack and the rest of the Torchwood team has just started to accept me into helping them on missions, and now I might be the cause of the downfall of the planet. Once they get into the hub they will have files the government doesn't even have access to. I feel my breathing quicken, and my heart race pick up. I'm the only one that knows the information that could potentially save the earth, and there are two of the creatures attempting to take it over behind me. 

I shoot up and begin walking again. Even if my feet hurt, my legs and wrists burn, and my head is throbbing, it's my responsibility to get back and prevent the hulamori from getting any further. So I head further into what looks like forever stretching darkness. 

------

An hour passes without a single sign of human life. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the hulamori had already taken over and wiped out every single human and animal on this planet. I take a step forward, limply and I trip over something and fall to the ground. Dust comes up from the dirt surrounding the side of the road as I land, and all my breath is taken away. Suddenly my eyes fill with tears as I struggle to find a breath once again. When air fills my lungs, I will myself to calm down, but sitting on the ground, having no clue how far I am from anyone, I feel like all hope is lost. I just want to curl up, and die so I don't have to see what the world becomes of my mistakes.

My eyes flutter shut when a light shines through them. My eye lids rip open and headlights blind me from a hundred feet away. I jump up off the ground and limp out to the edge of the road waving my hands up. The car rushes by me, but seconds after it stops and backs up to where I am standing. The window rolls down and I walk to the side of the car.

"Are you okay?" The woman in the driver seat asks in a wrecked voice from what seems to be crying. Tear tracks run down her cheeks, as well as some mascara and makeup. Her lipstick is smudged and her hair looks as if she had just woken up.

"Um, I can't say I'm in the best place right now." I answer. "Are you...alright?"

She laughs bitterly before answering, "I've had better nights." I awkwardly stand looking into her car for a few seconds before she says, "get in. We gotta get you home kid." I open the door and sit down, glancing at the clock and seeing it was five in the morning. 

The woman takes off again and we drive in silence for a few minutes before she speaks, "I'm Diana,"

"Kelly" I answer.