Chapter 10

"I am so tired," Emma muttered as she cleaned the last table and looked at her friend. "I'm never going to sleep so late again."

Ruby chuckled softly and shrugged as she dried the dishes. "Well, at least you made amends with Regina. That's a good thing."

"It's still strange though," Emma said and threw her cloth in a bucket filled with hot water and soap.

The brunette cocked her head and furrowed her eyebrows. "What is?"

Even though Emma had loved spending so much time with Regina and she couldn't believe that Regina had done all that grocery shopping for her, something told her it was not right.

Why would Regina change all out of the sudden? The girl had been so mean to her and why would she suddenly be so interested in becoming her friend?

"I don't know.. for all I know it's all an act and as soon as we get to school on Monday she's going to torture me again," Emma said with a soft shrug and hopped in the just cleaned table.

"Either that or she's in love," Ruby replied and winked.

For some reason, Emma's cheeks heated up, but she quickly shook her head.

"That's ridiculous. And not true. Regina's not in love with me," Emma said and she saw Ruby pursing her lips together. "What?" She asked and Ruby peeked through her eyelashes at Emma.

"How do you know?"

Emma shrugged. "I just do. Rubes, we've only known each other for two days," Emma said.

"No, you've been talking for two days. You've known each other since last year." Emma rolled her eyes and hopped off the table.

"Well, I gotta go home."

"Em, you know I'm just teasing you," Ruby said as Emma walked to Henry's stroller.

"I know," Emma said and nodded curtly. "But I still gotta go home."

Ruby set down the glass and walked toward Emma. "Bye and bye Henry," she said and bent down to look at the sleeping boy.

"He's adorable. Goodnight, Emma," Ruby said and waved as Emma walked away.

"Goodnight!" Emma peeked over her shoulder as the door closed.

She always enjoyed spending time with Ruby or Granny. They really felt like family to her and she loved them a lot.

Ruby was just two years older than her and was much like a big sister to her. Granny felt as her own grandmother.

Emma left the diner with a smile upon her lips, until she suddenly saw a figure sitting at one of the tables on the terrace and immediately stepped back.

"Don't worry, Emma, it's just me."

Emma recognized Regina's voice and she sighed relieved.

"Oh, my, you startled me," Emma said and a chuckle escaped her lips. "You're stalking me?" She questioned and Regina stood up.

"I really hope you don't think I'm creepy right now," she said and chuckled nervously. "I just.. had to get out of the house for a minute."

Emma tried to smile, but her eyes showed nothing but worry.

"Is everything alright?"

Regina looked for a moment at Emma and started walking. Emma quickly started walking next to Regina and the brunette nodded slowly.

"Yes. It's just.. my parents are a bit overworked at times. Well, my dad is and sometimes I need to find a calmer place. Usually I go over to a friend's house, but it's late and I knew you were still at work and I liked having you around last night, so I figured.. maybe you'd be willing to spend time now as well?"