Chapter 22

Emma didn't talk anymore.

Her mind was a big blur as she was putting some stuff in the backpack Regina had given her.

She couldn't believe that she was about to be sent to Boston. To some foster home where she knew no one.

Ingrid kept rambling on about the most unimportant things as Emma kept stuffing clothes and other things in her bag.

"I knew it was inappropriate to follow you, but of course I recognized the Mayor's daughter and I really want you to feel safe," Ingrid said.

The woman smiled slightly. "I know it sounds bad at first, but I promise you that the family you're about to move in, is wonderful."

"I can't believe you're not worried about Regina. She's being abused at home," Emma muttered, but Ingrid waved dismissively with her hand.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. The mayor and his wife are wonderful people," Ingrid said.

Emma couldn't believe what she was hearing. Ingrid really didn't care about Regina. Nor about her.

She couldn't stop thinking about Regina. She wondered how the brunette was doing, but Regina wasn't answering her texts.

"Can I say goodbye to Ruby before we go?" Emma questioned and hang her bag over her shoulders before she picked Henry up from his crib.

"Uh, I suppose," Ingrid said and nodded curtly as Emma hurried with Henry securely against her chest, through the alleys and streets to Granny's.

It were these words that Ingrid had said that made Emma realize that Ingrid had no idea what she was doing.

Either the woman was new at her job or she was pretending to be a social worker, because there was no way someone could suck so much at their job.

She was running with the child in her arms, making sure she was far ahead of Ingrid and she entered the Diner.

"Ruby," she panted and handed the brunette waitress the child. "Could you take care of Henry? I'm moving to Boston."

"What? Why? For how long?" Ruby asked as she accepted the boy.

"I don't know. Perhaps some weeks, maybe years, I don't know. They are sending me to some family, but I can't take him with me to Boston, he deserves a proper childhood, not in some unloving foster family." She grabbed some things, that were Henry's, from her bag and put them on the counter.

Emma kissed the boy's forehead and turned around to leave the Diner with tears in her eyes.

"Bye, Ems. I'll take good care of him," she heard Ruby say, but she didn't reply.

She still hadn't really comprehended what had happened these past hours. What started with an innocent kiss, turned into this big drama.

And that's why she never should've gotten in involved with other people in the first place.

Ingrid was waiting for her outside and looked confused when she saw that Henry wasn't with Emma anymore.

"Where's your brother?" Ingrid asked confused.

"What brother?" Emma blankly replied and got in Ingrid's car without muttering another word.

"That little baby. Where is he?" The woman asked, but Emma shrugged.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Ingrid sighed, but shrugged as she started the car. "It was about you leaving town anyways, that baby doesn't matter," Ingrid mumbled and Emma knew she was not supposed to hear that.