Chapter 21

Emma walked confidently to the social worker, with a broad smile on her face, securely followed by Regina.

They had walked through other people's garden to get to the social worker without being noticed by the blonde woman.

"Can I help you with something, Miss?" Emma questioned.

The woman immediately turned around to meet Emma and a smirk appeared on the older blonde's lips.

"Perhaps. What's your name?" The woman asked and smoothed her skirt as she approached the younger girls.

"I'm Zoey Pierson. This is my friend Trina Decker. We live around the corner. What are you doing here?" Emma asked and Regina looked dumbfounded at the blonde liar.

Emma's lies easily rolled off her tongue and that actually concerned Regina.

"Do you by any chance know where the owners of this house are?" The social worker asked and Emma frowned, before she exchanged a look with Regina.

She bit her lower lip and shook her head. "Miss, this house has been empty for as long as I can remember. We really have to head home, but I hope you'll find who you're looking for."

Emma flashed the woman a polite smile before she grabbed Regina's hand and pulled her along through the alleys and empty streets to Granny's.

They arrived by the back entrance of Granny's and Emma stopped walking as a laughter erupted from her throat.

"She totally bought that. Gosh, we were so lucky she didn't recognize you from your mother," Emma said with a bright smile, but Regina didn't laugh.

"Emma, what are we going to do now? I can't hide the rest of my life and neither can you."

Emma shrugged. "If these people are looking for me to put me in a house, I can hide the rest of my life. But it's true, you can't. You need to face your parents."

Regina scoffed. "That's easier said than done. Emma, I mean it. They're going to kill me. They hate gay people. If my mom's seen that photo of us kissing, she's going to freak out. And after having skipped classes at school, my parents will get even angrier."

She ran her hands frustrated through her hair and groaned. "Everything's so messed up. I can't believe we just lied to that woman like that. How could this happen?"

Emma put her index finger on Regina's lips and smiled as she moved closer to Regina.

"Everything's beyond messed up, but we'll get through this, alright? There's no way that social worker is going to let me live alone with Henry, so I'll manage to keep away from her. Let's first focus on you and your parents," Emma said and Regina sighed softly.

"I don't want to think about them," she muttered and dropped her gaze. "I never thought that me talking to you would cause such problems," Regina whispered and intertwined her fingers with Emma's.

"Gina.. I'll get you through this. We'll just lie to your parents. You just saw I'm an excellent liar," Emma said and winked before Regina connected their foreheads.

Regina inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. "I'm scared, Emma. I'm scared of my parents and I'm scared for you."

"Me?"

"Like you said yourself.. once people find out you live alone with your brother, you're going in the system. You'll have to leave Storybrooke. I don't want you to leave."

Emma didn't reply and swallowed. Regina opened her eyes to meet with Emma's green ones and captured her lips.

The brunette wrapped her arms around Emma as Emma cupped her cheeks and pulled her closer.

Regina parted her lips and Emma immediately entered her mouth with her tongue. Her tongue swept across Regina's velvety muscle and she moaned softly as she felt herself becoming one with Regina.

They broke apart and breathed heavily as their lips weren't apart for more than a few inches.

"You're a good kisser," Regina stated softly and Emma chuckled.

"You too," Emma replied before Regina connected their lips again. Emma knew there was no way she'd ever get enough of Regina's soft lips.

"Regina Mills," sounded suddenly from behind Regina and Emma quickly pulled away.

Regina stiffened and slowly turned around to face her mother.

The social worker from earlier stood behind Cora and held a serious look upon her face.

Right at that moment the door to Granny's opened and Ruby came outside with Henry on her hip.

The little boy immediately recognized his sister and stretched his arms, wanting to be held by Emma.

As Emma didn't know what else to do in the situation, she took Henry from Ruby and smiled uncomfortably.

"What's going on over here?" Ruby questioned as she saw Cora's angry glare, the strange woman behind Cora and Regina looking in fear.

"Regina Mills, I think it's time we have a proper talk," Cora stated and Regina shivered.

She briefly glanced at Emma and walked to her mother. "Yes, mother," she replied and followed her mother through the alley.

Emma watched until the brunette was out of sight. She sighed softly and looked at Henry, before she averted her eyes to the blonde woman.

"Good morning, Miss Swan," the woman said. "My name's Ingrid, I'm Storybrooke's social worker."

Emma felt Ruby's hand on her shoulder and felt a soft squeeze.

"Could you please excuse us for a moment?" Ingrid asked Ruby and smiled politely.

Ruby looked worried at Emma who nodded encouraging and she walked inside the Diner.

"I'd like to speak to your parent or guardian," Ingrid formally spoke and stepped closer to Emma.

Emma kept quiet. She knew this was bound to happen eventually. And she also knew that there was no way she'd get out of this situation.

Ingrid knew that her home situation wasn't ideal and the woman's job was to change that.

"They're at work," Emma lied and held Henry tight to her chest as the boy babbled something.

"Why aren't you in school?"

"I had some things to take care of."

"Emma, I'm only here to help. I am not here to hurt you or ruin your life, so I will ask once again. Where are your parents?"

Emma kept her mouth shut and just looked at Ingrid.

"You can't live on your own, Emma. You can't take care of a baby boy without any help, when you're sixteen. You deserve a happy childhood."

Emma sighed and swallowed. "I don't know you," Emma started and stroked Henry's back. "And I don't know how you and Cora found me and Regina, but I do know that what's happening to Regina right now, is much worse than my situation."

"So, you admit that your parents are not here to take care of you?" Ingrid inquired curiously and Emma sighed.

"I repeat again, what's happening in Regina's house is much worse than me growing up without my parents at home."

Ingrid smiled slightly and grabbed a notepad from her black purse to write something down. She clicked with her pen and bit her lower lip.

"I'm sorry, Emma, but if there's no one to take care of you I'm forced to put you and your brother in the system. You can pack some things that you can take with you. After that, we're going to Boston."