#14 Flashback

Hiya! The song is kinda cute, idrk XD. This is a flashback chapter. Madison Bailey said in an interview that when she first got the role of Kiara, she imagined little stories of how she met each of the Pogues. Pope during a school thing and John B and JJ during a surfing expedition. She didn't say anything else about the characters though, so that's the part I'm doing. :) Btw I have no idea what age Kiara was when she actually met the others, but in another chapter, I said that her tenth birthday is the first one she invited the boys to so... yeah haha.

No POV:

It was nine-year-old Kiara's first excursion at my new school. After a year of protesting, she was finally able to go to a school in The Cut. Kiara hadn't actually made any friends yet, but she was already so much happier. 

The class were all going to a polluted area of beach to look at animals that live in the water there.

Everyone had their own little paper filled with squares to put animals names in and a pen attached to a clipboard. Huddled over a small pond, was a boy. He was alone, which is probably why Kiara went over to him. 

When Kiara sat down, he didn't move. Though she tried to remember his name, all that she came up with was that it started with P. Slowly, the boy showed her his sheet, pointing to the extensive list of animal names he had.

Eager to keep up with him, Kiara showed the boy her own sheet, and they copied down the answers they didn't already have.

"I'm Pope," The boy spoke first, surprising himself.

"Kiara," She said, holding her hand out to shake, which he did.

"Yeah, figured," Pope was pleased that he was talking to someone other than his parents, but was even more pleased when he and his new friend had first-place stickers put on their chests for getting the most amount of animals.

That day, a new friendship was formed. That was the day that began what would soon lead to a bigger friendship circle.

 ❆ ❆ ❆ ❆

Kiara let her long hair fall down her back. It isn't often you see a young child and immediately know they will grow up to be beautiful, but that was the case for Kiara.

She had been invited to go to a surfing expedition with other kids around her age from surrounding schools. Surprisingly, Kiara was the only girl there. When she arrived, she scanned the other kids' faces and put their names together, to remember them for later.

Her eyes were drawn to two boys in the corner. Though she couldn't put her finger on how she knew them, they looked incredibly familiar. They were both above average in height, the taller one had dirty brown hair and his skin was a tan colour. The other one, however, was a bit lankier looking with blonde hair and striking blue-ish grey eyes. Kiara found herself looking at the blonde-haired boy just a moment too long, and felt them both look at her when she turned away.

"Oy, you! The girl over there," The taller boy yelled out, "Come over here!" Kiara snapped around, looking annoyed and walked over.

"Do I know you?" Kiara sneered slightly, and the taller boy nudged the other one.

"Yes. I'm John B and this is JJ. Ya' know Pope?"

"Yeah?"

"We're his friends."

"Oh, cool. I think that Pope mentioned you once or twice, what he didn't mention is just how annoying you guys were," Kiara didn't really know where that comment came from, she just didn't feel like talking to these boys anymore.

"Pope said you surf? I mean, come on. The only reason they asked you to come is so they get extra funding because they have a girl. If you could actually surf, we would have met you by now," This made Kiara's blood boil. 

Quickly fastening the strap around her ankle, she ran straight into where the swell was larger than everywhere else. There were supervisors calling out to her and running to stop her from getting into the water and seriously injuring herself.

Paddling out to where the older swimmers were, trying to catch their own waves, Kiara received a number of confused looks from people as she passed them. 

She saw a large wave coming up behind her, and she prepared herself for its arrival. There were people calling out to her from the entire beach, calling out to tell her to just swim back. She took no notice, however as the wave came and took Kiara with it.

Finding her balance, Kiara stood up on the board, focusing hard on the water in front of her. JJ and John B watched her with a mix of guilt and jealousy. Jealousy because they didn't get the chance to show off, and guilt as they felt responsible for her going out and doing something that could get her killed.

She looked elegant as the wave took her back to shore, a sigh of relief could be heard from everyone but it didn't last long as the head supervisor scolded her for being so silly. The boys from before were standing behind the supervisor and she pulled faces at them when she wasn't looking.

Once she could, Kiara marched straight over to where the boys were sitting. They looked up at her, genuinely scared for their safety.

"Okay, I must admit- you weren't terrible," John B looked down at his shoes, only just speaking loud enough for Kiara to hear.

"Not terrible? Dude, she was bloody epic!"  JJ exclaimed loudly, making Kiara grin.

It was probably this statement that encouraged the playful flirting between JJ and Kiara in the years to follow, even at their young age. It wasn't long before the whole group gathered for the first time, and things just clicked into place.

Word Count: 992

Welp this chapter was super boring, but I have a few ideas for the next chapter. 1- Introduce a non-problematic o.c or 2- Have a slightly steamy scene. I said the mature rating is MAINLY for language. I will probably never write something extremely NSFW, but still. I found that sentence difficult to write but um oh well. Sorry this took a while to come out,  XD I lost a tiny bit of motivation to finish it, but then I did so yeah. aNyWayS, this bit was longer than any of the other chapters, so... imma go now <333