#22

Hey all! I know I said I was back then didn't post anything for over two months and I'm sorry about that. I started this chapter about five times before giving up then out of nowhere, while I couldn't sleep, at 1:00 am, I randomly got some inspiration for a chapter. I apologise for any grammatical errors because it was way too late for a functioning brain. I'm also sorry if the way the book is structured is different, I've tried to grow out of my old writing style and it is hardly noticeable, but it just might be annoying to read I guess aha 💖

Tensions had been running high between Kiara and JJ's relationship. Kiara's dad had her working extra shifts that always seemed to run whenever JJ had some time off, which was, curiously, much less often than she remembered. They had hardly had a full conversation for nearly three weeks and whenever they did speak, their words sounded strained and forced.

Unfortunately, Kiara was the type of person to quickly jump to conclusions about a whole range of things. In the back of her head, she had memorised JJ's entire work schedule, since before the two even began dating. She knew exactly when he wasn't working and when she could go see him.

Following everything that happened with Brandy, the couple had made up, even confessing their love for each other, but that didn't prevent Kiara from believing JJ was hiding something from her. It had been almost six months since the day JJ and Kiara first got together, and Kiara wished so badly for everything to turn out well on a day that was special to her, but with the way things were going, it wasn't looking too good.

JJ, on the other hand, was, at first, blissfully unaware of the strain on their relationship. For a quick-witted person, it seemed to take him a while to notice things. When it eventually dawned on JJ that things weren't as smooth-sailing with Kiara as he'd like, he wasn't sure what to do. JJ had asked for some extra shifts to save up some money to buy an important and special six months anniversary present as a surprise and had decided to keep that from Kiara, so she didn't suspect anything.

Kiara's POV:

I was so certain that something was going on with JJ that, looking back on it now, was quite ridiculous. I felt sad and disappointed all throughout the day of our anniversary. After almost a month of suppressed contact with him, I had lost all hope that he would even remember what today was, but I was so far from wrong.

Picking up my phone, all my worry from the last month quickly eased away. 

JJ: Meet me out the front ;)

I smiled as I pushed the curtains aside to see the old VW bus with a grinning JJ behind the wheels. I was far too happy to know he hadn't forgotten to care about how I looked, and practically flew down the stairs to greet him, not that he cared how I looked anyways.

"Oh, JJ, you can hardly imagine how excited I am to see you," I remember beaming at him, making eye contact in the rear-view mirror.

No POV:

JJ pulled the van up at the carpark behind the beach, jumping out of the driver's seat to help Kiara out. Once she was standing, he grabbed her hand tightly, feeling slightly awkward at the touch for the first time in a while.

He lead her down to a place where someone had left their old fire and logs were surrounding it. The two sat down on one, just out of reach from each other when JJ turned and looked at Kiara seriously.

He took a deep breath before starting, "Kiara, these last six months have been so wonderful, and I can't believe it took this long for everything to happen, but I couldn't be more glad that it did," JJ pulled an infinite ring out of his pocket.

"A-a promise ring?" Kiara quietly stuttered, knowing this would not have been cheap, "But- how?"

"I took a few extra shifts down at the dock, which is why I was hardly free. I want this to be a special night, and I know you don't need anything, but I thought it was finally time to give you something that you can hold onto."

Kiara's eyes were glassy as she wrapped her arms around him tighter than she ever had, "Oh, JJ, I love you so much."

"I love you too," JJ said just before Kiara pulled away very slightly, so their faces were just a few inches apart. Kiara pushed herself forward and it all felt magical.

Even after six months, they still gave each other butterflies when they saw each other, and affection still made them grin like idiots, and so they happily spent their anniversary night just enjoying the other's company and holding onto the moment for as long as they possibly could.

Thank you for reading! Expect some more regular updates now <33 I know this chapter wasn't very long but I didn't want to not post for any longer.