Chapter 2: What it Takes

I watch as Izuku ignores my please to just drop the subject, "Can even someone without a quirk be like you?" All Might glances back at us, "Without a quirk?" I keep quiet, he's not going to listen to me.

"It might've been because I don't have a quirk, but I'm always made fun of... Maybe that's why... I don't know..." He begins, "But I thinks saving people is super cool. Saving people with a fearless smile." Izuku smiles as he speaks, "I want to be the greatest hero, like you...!" When the green haired boy next to me opens his eyes, he's met with a ghastly looking man, whose practically a skeleton.

"Y-y-you're deflating...!" I have to stifle a laugh, I'm probably one of the very few people who knows what All Might looks like, I would tell you why but that would take a flashback and I don't want to explain it twice. "Wait, up until now... Huh?!" I just roll my eyes as my favorite fanboy freaks out, "Fake! A fake! You're so skinny!" I tug on Izuku's arm, "Izuku I assure you this is All Might." He looks at me, "No Way!" All might looks at us, well me specifically. "Young lady, you are a girl so you should understand this," I nod my head slightly gesturing for him to continue, "You know how the guys at the pool are constantly flexing and posturing? It's like that." I snort a bit, "That's the example you chose?" He nods,

"No way...! I-it can't be... All Might is fearless... he saves everyone with a smile..." I put my hand Izuku's shoulder, "Izu- trust me, plenty of fear hides behind that man's smile." All Might looks at me with a hint of guilt? Or maybe sadness? "He thinks I'm fearless huh? Now that you've seen me like this young man, make sure you don't write about it online, even accidentally. Let me show you something."

The stick like man lifts his shirt to show a large disgusting wound on his side. "It's an injury I got from an enemy attack five years ago... Half my respiratory system was destroyed and I lost my whole stomach. I've been emaciated from repeated surgeries and the aftereffects. Right now I can only work as a hero for about three hours a day." Izuku's eyes widens, "That can't be... Five years ago... Was that when you fought Toxic Chainsaw?" All Might looks up, "You're well informed." I look at the hero, I know which fight he's talking about but I decide it's best to keep my mouth shut. "No, this was a fight that was never made public. Most people don't even know if it." The skeleton of a man says, "All for One..." I mutter quietly, "What? how do you know that name?" He asks me, "I'll tell you later, both of you. It's a part of my past Izuku doesn't even know." He simply nods.  "I will save people with a smile! The Symbol of Peace cannot be daunted by evil. I smile to show the pressure of heros and to trick the fear inside me. Pros are always risking their lives."

I know what he's about to say, I can't watch my best friend's dreams get shattered- I can't watch this. "I don't want to watch Izuku cry..." I look at Izuku and I hug him as All Might speaks. "I cannot simply say, 'You can be a hero even without power.'"

"I see..." I feel my whole world come crashing down, "Why does my heart feel like it's breaking? It's not me he's talking to..." My eyes burn with tears, "Izuku... Y-you're already a hero... S-so don't listen to him..." Izuku doesn't hug me back, his arms just stay limp at his sides. "If you want to help others, then you could also become a police officer. They often get teased because villains get delivered to their doorstep, but that's also a fine occupation." The man begins to leave, "It's not a bad dream. But you also have to consider what's realistic young man." After that is said he leaves.

"Izuku..." My best friend, the boy who I've Idolized all my life is completely gone, he seems almost broken. "Izuku... You are a hero... You're my hero." He doesn't respond, just gently pushes my off.

---------------------------------------------------------
*Flashback*  (age 5)

"Hey, look at this stupid girl. She doesn't have a quirk!" a boy with black hair and dragon horns says to one of his friends, "I do have a quirk!" A boy with ash blond hair steps up to me. "Yeah right. Saitei! You're nothing but a quirkless loser like Deku!" I look down at my feet, tiny sparks of light falling from my palms after that I couldn't do anything else with the light, it wasn't a quirk... "D-don't call me that!" The boy strikes me, I fall to the ground as the tears pour from my eyes. "Crybaby. Don't even think you can speak to me." The boy spits out, just as the blond is about to hit me again a boy with green hair and freckles steps infront of me. "HEY! I-IF YOU DON'T LEAVE HER ALONE... I-I'LL STOP YOU MYSELF!"  The blond growls. "Move it Deku! Before I blow you and Saitei up!"