Chapter 21-Smoke

I land by the Louvre and sit on a building. I look out over the streets of Paris at the people, animals, and vehicles.
Everything looked perfectly fine. Suddenly I hear the faint sound of sirens. My right ear twitches and I can hear where the sirens are coming from. I leap off in that direction.

I arrive to see a fire on a building. Fire trucks sirens are whirling, and ambulances are speeding in. It's a tall building that must be at least thirty stories. I can hear people trapped inside, screaming. Suddenly a civilian calls out. "It's Alley Cat!! She'll help us!" I look down at the crowd and give quick wave.

I pull out my mirror and quickly call Chat Noir.

"Snowflake? Is something up?"

"There's a fire! No time to explain, call Ladybug and get over here! I'll send you the address."

I hang up and send Chat the address, before jumping into one of the windows of the building. I pull out my mirror and put it on its 'mask' mode. I look around the room at all the burning furniture, walls, and floors. I can see wooden support beams that gave away when the fire came.
Suddenly my ears pick up a sound. It sounds like...crying?

"Hello?!" I begin shouting. "Is anyone there? I'm here to help!" I quickly but carefully make my way through the fire-filled room over to the crying. I see two little boys with white skin stained in ash, their brown eyes wide in terror. I approach them.

"Hi, my name is Alley Cat, I'm here to get you back to your mom." Suddenly a beam crashes behind me. "We need to get out quick. You, what's your name?" I point to the taller one of the boys.

"Freddie."

"Okay, Freddie, hop on my back and hold on tight." I say, scooping up the other boy in my arms.

Once Freddie is on my back, I hand him my mask. I climb out of the window and hop down. A woman with the same chestnut colored hair as Freddie and his brother run up to us. She grabs the boys and pulls them in a hug. "You saved my babies!! Thankyou so much, Alley Cat!"

"It was no problem ma'am" I say, and run to the crowd. "Is anyone missing anybody?!" I yell. A younger woman fights her way through the crowd. "My baby is still trapped on the seventh floor!!" She cries.

I leap up and hop in the seventh floor window. I reach for my mirror, but can't find it. Then it hits me: I gave it to Freddie to hold and never took it back from him. There's no time. I jump over furniture and duck underneath beams looking through the rooms. My lungs a burning with all the smoke I've inhaled.

I continue to run through the halls until I hear a muffled sound of crying. I run to the sound and see a little bundle of cloth on the floor. I remove the top sheet and see a tiny, screaming baby. I recover her and begin to leave.

By now the heat is unbearable. Even with my cold and heat resistant suit, every inch of me is sweating. My throat and lungs feel like they're on fire, and my vision becomes foggy. I begin to feel lightheaded, and start gasping for air.

In one final attempt to breath, my body collapses, leaving me in complete darkness.