Chapter Twelve. Who's Jack?

Mackenzie - D

What? - Me

What's going on? - D

You heard me, I'm here permanently - Me

How is that a bad thing? - D

This just shows - Me

What? - D

You don't know me at all - Me

I stuff my phone into my pocket and get in my car. School is the only normal thing I have left. When I walk into my class the teacher glares before continuing to speak.

When I sit she looks at me, "Ms. Jones, why are you here?"

"It's school." I shrug, causing people to snicker. 

"You haven't been here for a while, why come back now?" She asks.

"Because it's my choice, if I want to be here I will." I snap.

She huffs, "Ms.Jones you can't speak to me like that." 

"Actually, you spoke to me this way first so I have every right." I prove a point.

She sighs before continuing class. If she would have continued I would have beaten the shit out of her. What am I doing? Those shouldn't be my thoughts anymore. Ugh. I moved for a reason, to get away from trouble. This is all going wrong. 

The bells rings and I stand with my bad, "Ms. Jones." 

I look at her annoying face, "Hmm?" I hum.

"Detention." She says.

"You couldn't say that in front of everyone?" I ask taking the damn note. 

I leave her without an answer and walk out the classroom door.

"Mackenzie." I hear.

Turning I see Daniel standing behind me.

"What?" I ask.

"I didn't do anything wrong." He says.

"I know, it's just complicated." I sigh.

"Just come over today and talk to me." He says grabbing my wrist.

"I-"

"Ms. Jones, I believe you have Detention, you and your boyfriend can talk later." Mrs. Moorson says.

Is she serious?

I give her a fake smile before nodding and heading to detention. As I walk, I take a look back at Daniel who stands still.

"I'll see you." I say.

He nods before turning towards the door. The Detention supervisor is Mr. Wystein.

"Hello Ms. Jones." He says.

I ignore him and sit in an empty desk that isn't even mine. Not caring, I begin to doodle on my notebook.

"Please pay attention." He asks.

I roll my eyes and set my pen down, looking up at the teacher. He smiles before continuing with his words.

"Psst." 

I turn to see an unfamiliar face, He has brown eyes and curly brown hair, "What?"

"I'm Jack." He says holding out his hand.

"Mac." I say shaking his with a smile.

"Ms. Jones, stop talking to your friend and pay attention." Mr. Wystein calls. 

"One, he's not my friend, I don't do friends," I continue, "Two, Or what?"

"Detention tomorrow." He says.

"Fine." I say crossing my arms.

The rest of detention is continued with this stupidity. When we're finally able to leave I stand and rush out the door. It's pouring down rain, great. I pull out my phone and call Daniel, it rings for a while before going to voicemail.

"You're such a dick!" I yell into the phone.

My hair is now soaked along with my clothes.

"Hey?" 

Jack stands with his hood on and a smile, "Need a ride?"

I shake my head, "I'm just going to walk."

"Come on, you can't walk in the rain." He says.

"See these?" I kick my leg up, "I can."

He grabs my wrist with a smile and walks me to his car.

"Fine." I sigh with a smirk.

He closes the door and jogs around to his side. I shiver while waiting for him to pull out of the damn parking lot.

"Here." He says handing me a jacket.

I shake my head, "I'm fine."

"You're cold." He says.

I roll my eyes and slip the dry jacket on and I'm instantly warm. Eventually I stop shivering and he drives silently.

"Thank you." I say quietly.

"Of course, if you ever decide to do friends again, I'm signing up." He says.

I nod and lean my head against the window. This random guy just drove me home without trying to get in my pants. This school is special, that's for sure. 

I get out and wave to him before rushing into Daniel's house. He stands at the end of the stairs with his arms crossed.

"I'm such a dick?" He asks.

"Yes, you are." I say.

"I didn't have my phone on me." He says.

"It's fine, I was just mad." I say.

"Was?" He asks.

"Jack drove me home." I shrug.

"Who's Jack?" He asks. 

I giggle before answering, "A friend."

"Friend?" He asks, "Not a crush?" 

I shake my head, "He's sweet, but not my type."

"What's your type?" He asks.

"None of your business." I smile up at him.

"I think it is princess, because it's me." He smirks evily. 

I shake my head and turn away from him, "In your dreams."

"It usually is." He says smirking. 

I roll my eyes and sit on the couch with the TV remote. I don't want to cut him out of my life, he's my first 'friend' here. Though he can be an ass, he's still nice to me, in a way. We'll sit and talk about each others life and get to know each other before something we regret happens. Goodnight.