Chapter Fourteen. You're On My Mind

I lay in bed staring up at the plain white ceiling. Ever since mine and Danny's little incident, I haven't been able to stop thinking about him. Today is Saturday and I couldn't be more thankful for that. School is too much right now, before I thought it was the only thing keeping me going. Now, I feel like it's holding me back in some weird way. I walk to my closet and pull out a pair of light denim shorts with a black V-neck tank top.

After I'm done changing, I grab my phone and walk down stairs. My phone pings in my pocket, making pull it out.

Morning - D

Hey - Me

What're you doing? - D

I'm about to go get coffee - Me

Can I come? - D

I don't know - Me

Please? - D

I promise to keep my hands to myself - D

Fine - Me

I sigh while grabbing my black and white flannel. If he keeps his hands to himself  it should be fine. Right?

I clear my thoughts as I step outside, into the cool breeze. My mom gets home tomorrow. Finally. As much as I loved the good times with Danny, I could have some excuse when I didn't want to see him. I know how fucked up that sounds, but it's true. 

"Hey." He calls.

I look over to him walking toward me, "We're taking my car."

"Okay." He shrugs.

I get in and start the car making the engine roar. I look over at Danny who's sitting on his phone.

"So why'd you want to come?" I ask beginning to pull out.

"I wanted to spend some time with you." He says.

"Why? Don't you have friends?" I ask.

"Yes, but you're also my friend." He says.

"You sure you want me to be?" I ask, keeping my eyes on the road.

He nods, "No." He says blankly.

A frown takes over my face, I sigh. 

"Oh, not like that!" He clears, "I just don't want to be friends for different reasons."

I shake my head, trying to understand what he means.

"Just leave it." I say irritated. 

"Idiot." He mumbles to himself.

We both get coffee of our choosing and drive back home. This morning didn't go how I wanted, he doesn't want to be friends with me? I guess I should've already known that, no one really does. 

"Thanks." He says getting out.

I watch as he walks around and opens my door too.

"Thanks." I laugh. 

"You look good." He says.

I smile and close the door, locking it I walk up the porch steps.

"You're not coming over?" He asks.

"I think it's best if we aren't too close." I say.

"I've already kissed you." He says. 

I flush at his words, must he be so obvious? 

"Exactly." I say before turning. 

"Fine! Later." He calls.

"If you're luck Danny boy!" I laugh. 

Daniel's POV

"I've already kissed you." I say.

She flushes and stands still in silence. I hold back the smile that's taking over, she's too cute. Making her embarrassed is really funny.

"Exactly." I watch her turn away.

"Fine! Later." I call with a smile.

"If you're lucky Danny boy!" She yells.

I walk up the steps laughing, she makes me feel so happy. All of the times that I've kissed her she always left me wanting more, that's what I plan to get. I hope she chooses to come over before our moms get back. 

Daniel? - Mom

What? - Me

How're things? - Mom

Good - Me

You and Mackenzie are getting along? - Mom

Yes Mom, we're doing good - Me

Do you like her? - Mom

What? No! I mean, it's friendly - Me

Honey, I mean as a friend but clearly you like her more - Mom

I'm going - Me

I turn off my phone frustrated, why did I freak out like that? Ugh. She's is going to tear me to bits.

What time should I come over? - Princess

It's four, so about seven - Me

Okay, see you - Princess

Bye- Me

I like talking to her, even the simplest conversations. When we fought, I felt like such an ass. All I have to do is wait for her to come over and I'll be great. For now, I'll play some games and text my friends.

Dude - Paul

What? - Me

Who's that girl? Mackenzie? - Paul

I clench my jaw.

What about her? - Me

You think I could get her? - Paul 

Do I have to kill you? - Me

You like her? - Paul

I never want you to mention her again - Me

Chill, I'm out - Paul

I slam my phone onto the table and kick my feet up. Paul has been my friend for a while, but knowing he thinks of her makes me furious. Oh my god, what is happening to me? I want her so badly. I shake my head and lay back, closing my eyes. All I know is he isn't getting her, I am. That's all I want.