Chapter Five

With the crime scene secure and Rowan on route to the hospital with the baby, Cole drove himself and Morgan to their precinct based in London bridge. The car ride was silent as the image of the crime scene burned in their minds. Many commuters entered the underground stations as they drove past. Morgan had often wondered what her life would have been like if she chose a different career path. A desk job would crucify her.

"Are we going to talk about what we just saw." Cole asked as he turned onto London Bridge and headed for their building.

"Not until we receive the information from Hallie." Morgan replied melancholy.

"I'm talking about the baby." He muttered.

"There's nothing to talk about. It was part of some ritual."

"Stop calling the baby 'it'." He warned and Morgan cocked her eyebrow.

"Feeling broody Dawson?" She chuckled, and he smirked as he pulled in the underground car park.

The precinct was home to the elite departments: The Serious Crime Unit, Armed Force Officers, Specialist Firearms Command, Counter Terrorism, Paedophile and Child Abuse Investigation, Anti-Corruption, Forensic Services. Their unit was based on the tenth floor. Wide windows showed the glorious view of the River Thames. The unit had come a long way in the past ten years, moving from where they had started on the ground floor.

This morning the building was quiet as most of the night shift workers prepared to leave and return home. In the daytime, it buzzed with workers and visitors coming and going; serious faces, quick steps, uniforms or suits and high heels, women plastered with makeup, and men with tight shirts under their blazers. Morgan had often sought refuge in her office and order lunch from Deliveroo before she would send Dakota to collect it.

Morgan and Cole exit the elevator on their floor and strutted to the end of the hall, to the closed door with a silver plaque with the engraving The Serious Crime Unit. Morgan was about to push down on the handle when it flew open revealing Alfie Johnson – the head of Anti-Corruption on floor four. A strange man with a vendetta against all departments. He had made more enemies than friends in his first day. His receding hairline was the topic of many jokes around the precinct, even in his own department.

"Ah Chester." He chirped.

"Johnson, to what do we owe the pleasure?" Morgan questioned as she moved out of the way for him to enter the hallway. Cole slipped into the office.

"I heard you stumbled on a case. Wanted to make sure you are following protocols."

"Don't we always?" She shrugged.

"Why don't you pop down to my office and have a conversation, a little birdy told me you were first on the scene."

"Would love to but I can't put this investigation on hold."

"Pity, I look forward to your closing report. Try not to make a mess of it like you did in the last one." He smirked as he departed. Morgan shuddered violently as she entered the office.

"Guy gives me the creeps." Cole whispered loud enough for her to hear.

Her team was made up of four members including herself. Each had their own desk in the office. Superintendent Oliver Bruce had his own office with a view behind his desk and chair. Hallie was based in the basement by the coroner's office. Manners and suits did not belong in their department. Everyone in the team – except Rowan, wore jeans with plain t-shirts or smart shirts. Many had kept essentials such as deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush in their desk drawer. They needed to be prepared for any case that came their way. First name basis was imperative in the office. A swear jar was put in place three years ago; Morgan had put the most money in.