Chapter Nine

She could hear him in the shower. Frustration boiled inside her like the water in the kettle. Her fingers curled tightly around the handle until her knuckles turned white. The pictures on the fridge burned holes into her; as if they were watching, judging her. Happy memories now tainted. Jane stood in her kitchen staring into the garden from the window.

Footsteps pounded on the floor above her. Mentally, she started to go over her list for today: Do the food shop, pay the rent, coffee with her friend, do the laundry, take out the rubbish.

Take out the rubbish, she repeated quietly as she looked at the bin by the backdoor. It was not full, but she wanted to get rid of it today.

"Morning love." Her husband chirped with his hair damp. She smiled at him half-heartedly. He leaned in to give her a kiss, and she allowed him.

"Coffee?" Was all she could bring to say to him. He was about to answer when his phone rang. It was a brief call.

"I'm sorry but I have to run to work."

"I thought you wasn't due in until this evening?" She questioned. Lie to me, I dare you.

"Someone's been admitted to my department, it sounds serious." He shrugged as he grabbed his satchel from the dining room table. She nodded softly and he swiftly ran out the door.

The grip on her cup caused it to crack and hot tea spilt on the floor. She knew he was lying to her. Like he always does. She smelt the perfume on him as he sneaked in around four this morning. Times had been tough on them both. Jane caught him previously watching porn when he thought she couldn't hear; she heard it loud and clear. Now he sneaks into their bed reeking of cheap perfume, he said he was working late. Jane didn't believe him. Was she that bad of a wife that it has resulted in him being unfaithful to her?

Jane's mind drifted back to the time they started dating. They met when they were teenagers, he fought hard to get her attention and became close. Then he moved away to university to become a Doctor; while Jane's life was on hold to look after her ill mother. They met again at their school reunion and married two years later.

The cracks started to show after their failed attempt at having children, even with IVF. Various hospital appointments and tests later, the devastating news that Jane could not carry a child shot them like a bullet.

She threw the remains of the broken cup in the bin, pulled the bag out and tightened it. The bin collectors would be around shortly to collect. After the task was done, she took a long hot bath. Her reflection did not phase her, she knew she had stopped making an effort. Martin reckoned she was depressed which she argued she was not.

Today would be different, she told herself. She would stop feeling sorry for herself. She got dressed in skinny jeans and a casual pull on shirt. She styled her brown hair in a high bun that complimented her heart shaped face. Makeup was minimal where she only used powder foundation and a tinted lipstick. She grabbed her beige shopper bag and her oyster card on the way out the door.

Jane met her friend at the EL&N Café in Knightsbridge. She casually sipped her coffee as she admired the group of beautiful young women taking photographs by the flower wall. Anxiety brewed in her stomach. She wished she were as beautiful as them.

As they divided the bill, Jane looked at the various cakes and sweet treats carefully placed out in the display. She decided to buy a slice of the red velvet cake for her husband and surprise him at work. This would put her in the good books and hopefully he would stay home tonight. She bid her friend goodbye with a kiss on each cheek careful enough to not damage the cake box.

The district line was buzzing with excitement. Many shoppers venturing into central London to do their Christmas Shopping. Jane hated Oxford Street during this period, she ordered all the presents online and now they are tucked away safely in the loft. She departed at Westminster and walked across the bridge. The breeze from the river was delightful, and she thanked that it was not raining. Before they moved to Chelsea two years ago, they lived in Elephant and Castle. Jane enjoyed her morning jog along the Southbank. Now she only jogs in the treadmill they have at home.

The receptionist greeted Jane warmly as she watched her enter the hospital doors. Her husband was conducting a scan on a patient, but she ventured up to his departments floor. She would wait for him in his office. It would be a nice surprise as Jane had not visited her husbands work in a while. As she turned the corner, she saw her husband follow an auburn hair woman out of a room. Jane quickly retracted and leant against the wall.

"I'll give you a call later." She could hear her husband's voice.

"Thank you, Martin. I look forward to seeing you later." The woman responded. Tears burned in her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away as she heard footsteps approaching. The auburn hair woman smiled at her as she walked past. Jane's heart sank. She was a natural beauty and a figure Jane would die for.

She walked to her husband's office door after slowing her racing heart and knocked on the door. He sat upright in his chair at his paperwork flooded desk. He looked up at her when she entered, and a smile played on his lips.

"This is a nice surprise, what are you doing here?" He asked as he got up to give her a kiss.

"I thought you could do with something sweet." Jane's broken voice replied as she handed him the box. Martin opened it and his smile widened.

"My favourite. Thank you."

"How is work?" She questioned; she couldn't get the image of the woman out of her head.

"Emotionally draining." Martin muttered as he sat back down in his chair.

"Is this about the patient from this morning?"

"Young girl, she was attacked in the middle of the night. She is lucky to be alive. Another girl was found with her, but she died." Jane bit her lip, and she sat on the chair opposite him.

"Are the police involved?"

"It's a murder investigation. I just finished talking to the Detective before you arrived." He replied and placed a stack of scans in a folder. The knot in Jane's stomach eased. He will be late tonight and it is because of work.

"How are you doing?"

"I've worked with a lot of patients, but nothing ever prepares you for a murder victim to come on your ward." He chuckled dryly.

"If you have to work late tonight, I understand." She reassured him. He smiled and beckoned for her to come to him. She sat on his lap, and he wrapped his arms around her.

"I feel like I've abandoned you recently." He admitted. It took Jane by surprise. She did feel abandoned by her husband. But she could not tell him how she really felt and cause an argument between them. She wanted them closer not further apart.

"You've been working hard, I understand." She lied. He reached up and kissed her.

"The Detective is coming back once the girl is more alert. Once they are gone, I'll be coming straight home." He promised her and kissed her nose.

"I'll keep your dinner in the oven." She smiled faintly before she kissed him goodbye and left his office.