Chapter Twenty-Nine

Camden High Street had not changed from when Morgan last saw it twenty-four hours ago. Merchants sat by their vans and enjoyed a hot coffee or tea as they found the motivation to set up their stalls for the busy day ahead. Blissfully unaware of the horrors Morgan and Cole had faced. The seven-thirty morning sun started its daily climb over the buildings, not a cloud in sight.

Morgan let out a long silent yawn. She could not find the strength to cover her mouth with her hand. Cole chuckled and made a remark about her spreading germs over the dashboard as he pulled up outside her apartment block.

"This time yesterday, I was on my way to save Layla." She muttered.

The image of Layla's dead body burned inside her mind. Guilt consumed her. They had solved one case and saved three girls. But Layla still laid on a slab with no justice.

"Do you think there will be a funeral?" Cole asked.

Morgan shrugged. She hoped Layla would have a funeral. Would her family attend? Did Layla have friends outside of work? Would Silas be man enough to call her family and deliver the bad news? She had to find out. It is too early to call now the night shift is over.

"We will find the person responsible, not just for Layla, but for Emma Davies and Yolanda Aya." He assured her.

"Hallie would make a great mum don't you think?" She deflected.

Cole sighed. When the topic of conversation was too much, Morgan would change the subject. Usually he would argue with her over it. He decided not to as they have had a long day.

"They're perfect candidates," he paused. "Why didn't see tell us she grew up in the system?"

"Everyone knows what happens to those kids, they slip through the net and no one does anything about it. She didn't want the pity."

"Wait, did you know?" He probed.

"Oliver and I have to look into your backgrounds before you join the team. So, yes I knew." She shrugged innocently.

Cole chuckled and rubbed his index finger over his upper lip.

"But yet, we know nothing about your background."

"You know enough Cole."

In the car park opposite them, Martin stood and watched them talking. Morgan looked exhausted and drained. She would be perfect to handle when they are alone. He hoped the man in the car would not go inside with her.

She got out of the car and waved to the driver before turning on her heel and entering her building. The driver watched until she was inside and drove off thinking she was safe. Little did he know, she was far from it.

Morgan locked the front door behind her once she was inside her flat. The table lamp and TV in the front room was still turned on. Two pieces of toast with Nutella sat on the kitchen island next to an empty unwashed coffee cup. She threw away the toast and placed the plate and cup in the sink. She will wash them after she gets some sleep.

The soles of her feet ached, her mind and body felt heavy, as if she had been out dancing in a bar all night. She stretched out her spine as lifted the hem of her top and pulled it over her head. The bottoms came off next and she discarded both items of clothing onto the floor. She slipped on a loose fitted shirt that came mid-hip and hopped into the unmade bed. The mattress moulded to her body and her mind drifted off to a better place.

*

"Dawson." Cole clicked on the handsfree button on his steering wheel.

"Where are you?" Hallie's voice filled his car.