Chapter Thirty-One

Two weeks later.

It rained on the day of Layla's funeral. Not a heavy rain, but a slight drizzle. The rain started yesterday afternoon, thunder and lightening lit up the sky. She loved the smell and sound of a storm.

Morgan's eyes fluttered open. She fell asleep on the sofa again. The television was still on and the QVQ adverts played for her in silence. The platinum blonde with barbie pink lipstick smiled while demonstrating a food slicer that would easily break after one use. The alarm set on her phone shrilled that carried throughout her flat. She picked her phone up to turn the alarm off. Because of her circumstances, Morgan had to allow extra time to get ready.

"Coffee?" Morgan looked up to see her mum walking into the kitchen in her thick beige dressing gown. Her slippers pounded off the wooden floor with every step.

She arrived the day Morgan got released from hospital. It felt like torture having her mum around all the time, especially when she couldn't get anywhere fast even with the crutches. Deep down, she knew her mum meant well.

Her leg itched, has done for three days now. She debated ordering a saw and getting it off herself. Instead, she grabbed a nail file from the coffee table and slipped it between the plaster and her leg. She thrust it in and out until the annoying itch subsided. Is this what it has come to? she thought to herself.

"I have to get ready for the funeral." Morgan muttered and used the arm of the sofa to stand up. The crutches leant against the wall next to the sofa.

Seven more weeks and she would be free from the cast that imprisoned her leg. She had to make modifications to her shower to help keep it dry. Jeans and tight fitted bottoms quickly became her enemy and were temporarily replaced with elastic waisted leggings and trousers made of a stretchy fabric to go over the cast.

The confrontation with Martin left her with some bruises and a broken leg. She was lucky the injuries were not worse.

He was found guilty of the murders of Emma Davies, Layla James, Yolanda Aya, and Jane Buck. They also included the slaughter of Emma's unborn child, and the attempted murder on Morgan. He was sentenced to life with no possibility of parole. The media went into a frenzy. A well-respected Doctor that lived a murderous double life. His court case made headline news and was broadcasted on television. She remembered the pain on his face when the sentenced was handed to him.

But with everything that had happened, life moved on.

The adoption papers were accepted, thanks to Oliver's glowing recommendation and close contacts in child services. A home visit had been arranged in the coming weeks for Hallie and Stephanie.

Cole grew closer to a woman he met at his gym, she shared his love of exercise and worked for one of the major law firms in the city. It looked promising.

Dakota opened her home to a retired army dog. An eight-year-old German shepherd looked up at her from his bed, and she fell in love. Until he ruined her garden.

Rowan became an expert in Ikea furniture construction after completing his three-year-old daughter's new bed.

After the reports were submitted to Levi, and with Anti-Corruption off their backs. Oliver enjoyed some winter sunshine with his family.

Morgan quickly showered and hopped into the bedroom. She dried her hair with the hairdryer while her mum picked out a black dress with leggings. Much to her mum's disappointment and after a brief argument, Morgan agreed to wear a small amount of foundation to cover her black eye. It was not an ideal day to wear a full face of makeup. She scooped her hair into a tight bun and sprayed a generous amount of hairspray to hold the strays.