Chapter Twenty-Eight

"That place always does a banging breakfast." Cole smacked his lips together. A roaring belch bounced off the walls in their office.

"You're such a pig, Dawson." Hallie crinkled her nose.

"My nan always said that's a sign you enjoyed your food." He leant back in his chair and put his dirty trainers on the desk.

"Fucking hell, what died in here?" Morgan gagged as she returned from the bathroom.

"Dawson's hopes and dreams of me ever turning straight for him." Hallie chuckled and shot a sarcastic smile at Cole.

Oliver stepped out of his office and assessed the polystyrene containers and to-go-coffee cups that littered the desks. He smirked slyly to himself. The team solved crimes, but when it came to keeping the office clean, they were animals.

"Do we have an update on the new-born?" Hallie questioned.

"Hospital confirmed he is going to be okay. Social services have been informed and they'll take over." Dakota replied as she started to pick up the containers and bring them to the bins.

"Getting in contact with Amanda's brother is impossible." Rowan glumly spoke as he took another swig of his coffee.

After Bobby had left with her family, the team made a list of things to do. The top task was to reach Amanda's only living relative and deliver the awful news. They contacted his place of work in New York, left a voicemail and an email detailing who they are. Hallie found him on social media and sent messages asking for him to get in contact. Now, all they had to do was wait.

"I suppose the best we can do is go home and get some rest. Especially you, Chester." Oliver announced.

Morgan lifted her head off the desk and rubbed her eyes. She felt as if she had smoked a strong joint, her body heavy and eyes stinging.

"If he doesn't respond, what will happen?" Hallie pursued.

Morgan sighed. "Social services will put the baby in care. It's out of our control now."

"Another child that will be lost and damaged by the failing system." Dakota muttered.

Silence engulfed the team. They saved the lives of three young women; all reunited with their families and get to go home to safe beds. But an innocent baby must grow up in the system. It killed them, especially Hallie.

"Bullshit." She blurted.

The team were shocked and surprised. She never swore in front of them. Cole and Rowan burst out into childish sniggers. Cole rose to grab the swear jar. Oliver had an amused look painted on his face and he tried to contain the laughter that stormed inside him.

"First time for everything." Cole mocked.

"Dawson, I swear if you put that jar near me, it will go over your head." She warned.

Cole smirked and put the jar back down.

"What's wrong Hales?"

"I've experienced first-hand the horrors that the system can put you through, and the type of scum they ship kids off too." She stuttered.

Morgan sat up straight in her chair and nodded for Hallie to continue. Herself and Oliver were the only ones that knew of Hallie's past. It was another reason why Morgan admired her.

"I was abandoned as a baby outside a fire station in East London. My mum was only fifteen and had given birth to me in the garage without her parents knowing. They quickly put me in the system. My childhood consisted of moving between houses, some were nice and others not so much. I've been screamed at, accused of stealing and lying, punched, burnt with cigarettes, and had bottles thrown at me. I tried to tell someone, but they all turned their backs on me."