Chapter Twelve

The fucking bitch is still alive.

He thought he had taken care of the problem. The other girl was never meant to happen, she surprised him. What else was he meant to do?

The sickening crack of the girl's neck snapping rocked his mind. He regretted what he had done, but also felt satisfied. The other girl looked in terror as she watched her friend smash her head onto that display, and she knew she was next.

His hands curled around the edge of the chair arms as student nurses debated what happened to the patient over a cup of coffee. Her body was broken, and her brain miraculously was not seriously damaged. Their voices hummed in his ears as he played out this morning like a film. He should have made sure they were both dead. Now she is resting in a bed, and that fucking Detective was poking her nose around. He will deal with her later.

The students left after washing their cups and acknowledged him on the way out. His eyes met with one of them, a slim brunette with green eyes. She flashed him a smile and closed the door behind her. Stunned at the action, no woman has looked at him that way. He was considered a loner in the workplace; social anxiety played that part well. Alone with his thoughts, he started to plan his next move. He had to work quick as the Detective will be back later for more questions.

A vexing itch started in his brain. Over the years, he had learned to control it. Now it is unbearable.

He had been watching her for months. She reminded him of sweet Emma. That is why he followed her; he was smitten by her. The taste in clothes and makeup he detested, but he could buy her new clothes. He approached her in the market and professed his love, and she rejected him. Was he not good enough? He watched her walk away and the anger erupted inside him. He lost control. Her breath could still be felt on his skin. It stunk of cigarette smoke.

The other girl hit him on the back of his head. A small lump had formed that occasionally throbbed. Her scared face flashed before his eyes, he reimagined grabbing her tightly and plunging the knife deep into her. Hitting the bone.

The adrenaline finally wore off when he got home. That was when he realized what he had done.

He straightened his clothes and left the staff kitchen. The hospital had a steady streamline of patients. Instead of an open ward, there were individual rooms for patients. This will be easy he thought to himself. Through the small window in the door, he could see her sleeping peacefully. The man who was with her was nowhere to be seen. Perfect.

Discreetly, he slipped into the room and locked the door behind him. It had to be quick. He pulled the scalpel out of his jacket pocket and crept towards the girl. Her eyes fluttered but stayed closed. It was now or never. The itch throbbed.

He traced his index finger across her cheek, her skin was soft. Her eyes opened and she stared at him. Her heart raced and panic rose.

"I'm sorry." He muttered as he placed his large hand over her nose and mouth pinning her down to the bed as her legs thrashed. She muffled her last scream.