ennoshita chikara: maybe another time

on valentines day, you really wanted to confess to your high school crush and best friend — ennoshita chikara — but chickened out once you saw some girl from another class confess, only to be turned down by the suffocatingly awkward third-year

you turned on your heel, walking back down the hallways again, maybe another time.

it was your final year in high school, which meant you only had a year left with ennoshita in high school, till the two of you left for different universities, with him choosing to pursue medicine in tokyo while you had decided on mass communication and continue staying in miyagi.

you had spent all week before valentines day searching for different homemade chocolate recipes, wanting to make only the best chocolate for ennoshita.

but you ended up for tons of burns and inedible chocolate instead, and therefore chose to purchase them at a local patisserie instead.

maybe another time, when you better learn to handle fire and an oven.

you had meant to give the chocolates to him during lunch, but he got dragged away by nishinoya to play volleyball. you didn't mind, you had some more time to calm yourself down.

you had never mustered up enough courage to confess to him for the last two years you've known him as you always ended up chickening out at the twelfth hour.

maybe another time. you always tried to reason with yourself.

but you didn't want to lose this chance. maybe it would ruin the friendship and things will never be the same again, but you probably would regret even more if you didn't confess.

"you good? you look constipated," he asked, it was science and the two of you had paired up to work on an experiment.

you took a quick glance of him, before quickly reverting your attention back to the lab report in front of you. that darn dashing smile of his never failed to make your heart to a whole gymnastic routine within a minute.

"yeah, i'm good. watch the flame, will you?"

ennoshita rolled his eyes as he steadily held the test tube over the bunsen burner, "chill, bro, i don't burn myself every day like some idiot."

"shut up, asshole."

he let out a burst of hearty laughter, his eyes forming slits. he ran his hand through his hair, turning back to analyse the mixture in the test tube.

he's in an oddly good mood today.

rare.

he places a test tube that he was done within the test rack, letting you jot down the observations.

he scooted over closer to you to help work on the report, but talking softly under his breath, "so, you gonna tell me who those chocolates are for?" peering over your shoulder to look at your schoolbag which you unintentionally left unzipped, giving him a crystal clear view of the pack of the chocolates.