sugawara koushi: under the stars

+a/n: really recommend listening to a soft romantic instrumental or acoustic song when reading this chapter :>

when sugawara had invited you for a picnic at the botanical garden's weekly evening concert, you had imagined something out of the English romantic comedies you watch; a spread of scotch eggs, fresh bread sandwiches, sausage rolls and quiche

when he brought the limp-looking peanut butter sandwiches out of his pockets and thrust one into your hands, you quickly swallowed your surprise and stifled a laugh. his eyes caught yours fleetingly before looking away.

he indicated a place where he had spread a mat under a tree and you followed, somewhere not so far from the stage where a local artist was performing for the night.

"this is nice," you simply commented before you sat down on the wide cotton mat, pleased with his choice of a date this evening.

suga followed suit and sat next to you as he handed you a drink, "can you see the stage from here?"

"mhmm, i like it better here, there's no crowd," you hummed in response and send him a sweet smile before switching you gaze over the concert stage in the distance.

it was a lovely evening, the weather was delightful and the ambience of the concert was one that was like a warm welcome and felt like home. it resembled a relaxing night when you would sing along to classics from the 80s in the shower after a long day.

you closed your eyes and leaned against suga and he instinctively wraps an arm around your waist, pulling you closer.

it was sunset. the two of you watched with unwavering gazes, as a fiery red orb of light slowly sank beneath the horizon behind the stage, and threads of light lingered in the sky, mingling with the rolling clouds, dyeing the heavens first orange, then red, then dark blue, until all that was left of the sunset was a chalky mauve, and then that melted away in turn as stygian darkness took over the sky.

sequin-silver stars like the glowing embers of a dying fire winked down at the two of you, illuminating the atramentous curtain of sky, and then suddenly the clouds parted, and you found yourself looking at a lustrous, argent disc casting brilliant rays of moonlight onto the dark grounds.

you let out a satisfied sigh, life has been so hectic and fast-paced for the last few weeks that you never had the time to take a proper break and you were so thankful suga recommended an evening date to unwind and relax.

the evening was filled with soft humming, innocent hugs and quick kisses. suga occasionally attempted to take some aesthetically pleasing pictures of you and the sunset for the gram but you refused to cooperate and he ended up with a bunch of pictures of himself you had taken instead.

the time you were spending there seemed to pass so quickly you didn't even realise it was close to midnight and the artist was closing up the night with a final cover.

"suga, why don't you sing?" you turned your head to face him as the last song of the night started playing, one of your all-time-favourite classics, elvis presley's 'can't help falling in love with you', "oh, this is one of my favourites! can you sing along, please?"

"eh? all of a sudden?" he grimaces at your request. he never had the confidence to sing in front of you and was certain he would only embarrass himself.

"daichi said you absolutely killed singing 'under the sea'," you teased, sending him a playful grin.

he rolls his eyes as he recalled the visit to the karaoke room with the volleyball team and had a Disney sing-off with the second years.

it was a close fight.

"did daichi show you the video of me singing and tanaka twerking to 'under the sea'?"

"of course!"

"well, i ain't singing tonight and daichi better be ready to get a good scolding when we return to school," suga exasperatedly ruffles his hair.

you chuckle as you turned your attention back to the stage, leaning against suga's chest and finding a comfortable position.

the wide stage floor was bathed in soft pastel colours from the stage lights. the artist sat on the tall wooden stool, his acoustic guitar perched on his right leg as his sweet voice echoed through the botanical garden.

your eyes fluttered closed as you relaxed against his chest. his chest was rising and falling against your back, your breaths in unison and the warm blood both of you could feel in each others' embrace.

suga runs a hand through your hair and places his chin on top of your right shoulder, leaning closer to your face.

as the song comes to an end, all you felt was his warm breath next to your ear and his sweet, sweet, sweet voice, singing the last line of your favourite song, "i can't help falling in love with you."