akaashi keiji: fogged up glasses

+a/n: this was inspired by day6's 'still'! :>

you sat next to akaashi, your eyes glued to your shoes and the rocky pavement below it

you sat next to akaashi, your eyes glued to your shoes and the rocky pavement below it. they seemed more interesting than whatever akaashi and yourself were discussing — your breakup.

akaashi was trying his best to fight back the urge to hold your hand, to apologise and beg for another chance to make the relationship work but he has done that so many times the last two years and so have you. but it never worked out.

"i know you're the right person, keiji," you whisper under your breath, "i just think it's unfortunate we met at the wrong time."

akaashi managed to keep his reply stuck in his throat, he wanted to tell you it was alright to stop with the airy lies, but he didn't want to hurt you any further and simply hummed in reply.

it wasn't like the two of you didn't love each other.

it just didn't work.

it couldn't.

the two of you always thought that someday, these dark clouds would pass.

that someday, there'll be a day when the two of you would smile brightly again.

that someday, the two of you could walk down the same pavement under sunshine that shines warmly.

but instead, it's been all shadows and dim lights seeping through the seemingly opaque clouds.

with a few more lies and forced smiles, you stood up, giving akaashi one last awkward embrace around his torso before turning on your heel to leave just before the tears could roll down your face in front of him.

"goodbye. i'll see you, whenever," akaashi whispers, just loud enough for you to hear.

you couldn't get yourself to reply.

so you left.

as akaashi stared at your retreating figure, he felt a gnawing pain against his chest, as if the pain were his regrets and all the unsaid words he had.

nausea swirled unrestrained in his empty stomach. his head swam with half-formed regrets. his heart felt as if his blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat.

he grips the material of his dress shirt, the cotton crumpling under his fingers, "fuck, it hurts," he mumbles under his breath as another sharp pain shot through his chest.

he knew that the moment you turned to walk away signified the end of this relationship between the two of you but he couldn't seem to turn away as he still wanted you.

wanted you bad.

he sighs as he looks up to the sky with his hands raised, the rays of sunlight creeping through his fingers.

today, was a pretty clear day, the afternoon sun scorched the hard stone pavement and makes the soles of one's sneakers feel warm.

but akaashi was wishing it was an outcast day instead so that the rain could mix with his tears and the cold could fog up his misty eyes behind his glasses.