Chapter 6

It turned out that next flight was even more costly than this one.

For the first half hour I had no idea what to do. I paced around the airport wishing this was a nightmare I'd wake up from, before I got tired and found myself on the floor of the airport.

I'd never been more envious watching couples and families laugh as they headed to their gates. Ready to have the time of their lives and together.

This was why Kegan should have been here. My fiancé would have known what to do, and if not at least I'd have someone with me to take away some of the shame I felt here.

My throat closed up. I'd have to go back home now, probably by hitchhiking. My family would be so disappointed in me, how was I going to tell them I wasted all this money?

Cold tears ran down my cheeks, and once they started they couldn't stop. They were like a salty waterfall, never ending and hopeless. I was hopeless.

I pulled my knees to my face and buried it in them. God this was embarrassing, crying in public. But I had nothing else to do. I was drained of anything positive.

"Why are you crying?" A voice spoke, toneless and deep. It wasn't real, I thought until I lifted my head. Blue eyes. Sober expression.

His hands were in his pockets. His height had doubled from my place on the ground, so much that he was all I could see.

Eyes wide, I sniffled my nose. "What are you doing here?"

Leo stared at me and I could see the raging conflict in his eyes as if he was fighting a war with himself. "I asked you something."

My voice was shaky and I tried hard not to sound weak and emotional, though it failed. "I missed my flight."

A furrow formed between his brows, and he remained in thought for a few seconds before-

"Stand."

My brows lowered. I opened my mouth to speak but when he said "now Alex" I had to comply. I lifted my bag from the ground and stood up, feeling even more embarrassed now that he'd seen me cry.

"What are you even doing here?" I asked. He narrowed his eyes slightly in thought, reached into his pocket and pulled something out. My hair tie.

I blinked, before slowly taking it. He came all this way to drop my hair tie off? One that I didn't even notice was gone?

"You came here because of this?" I raised an eyebrow, almost amused. "Or did you want to say goodbye after all?"

"Come on." He said bluntly, ignoring my question and signalling for me to follow him. When he headed towards one of the staff my eyes widened.

"What are you doing?"

As if I hadn't even spoken to him he stopped at the counter. I stayed behind, not being able to make out his low words but knowing that this wasn't good.

He finally turned to me. "Your flight takes off in five minutes. Get your stuff."

"Huh? But where?"

Continuing his habit of ignoring me he headed towards the wall of windows that showed the runway and I had no choice but to follow him.