Chapter 22

~Leonardo~

Three days.

Three days and by the time I'd return to Sicily, my mind would be stable.

Summer rain dripped from my umbrella as I made my way to the jets entrance. A stairway laid out, beside which stood two of my men stood and gave me a nod as I passed. The flight attendant took my umbrella and one I settled on a seat inside, I threw my attention out the window.

I kept telling myself this trip would do me good, but fuck, sitting here made me think otherwise. No amount of time or distance would rid me of her.

Everything happening to me was my fucking fault, but I was too deep in this to go back. Her image swept up my thoughts, of olive skin beneath net, long black hair, and a body that gave me withdrawal from just looking at it. She was a drug, I'd only tasted her and I wanted more.

Except she had no Goddamn clue. She was still hung over her ex.

Yesterday she mentioned him and it fired the primal, possessive part of me I wanted to shut down. I had no business getting worked up over her past, and here I was.

My phone buzzed in my pocket but I ignored it and ran a tense hand over my jaw. It was time I got over my pride. I'd make her forget him, erase him from her mind, because hell if I was going to sit there and watch her run back to him.

A grumble left my throat at my buzzing phone. It was Arturo no doubt, he was pestering me to close in on his deal. But when I read three missed calls from Cade, I froze.

"What is it?" I asked and pulled the phone to my ears.

"There's a small problem...it's not a big deal."

"Spit it out."

"Alex passed out, she won't wake up."

"How long ago?"

"Fifteen minutes."

Fuck, I should have answered my phone.

"The doctor is on his way to check if it has to do with her old injuries." Cade said. I held still for a moment, contemplating whether or not it was serious. Cade was there, and so were the rest of my men. If I didn't trust them, I wouldn't have them in my house.

But that didn't stop the bitter urge in me to see her for myself.

I shut the phone before he could say anything else that'd make me change my mind. On second thought, I was taking this Goddamn flight. There was a lot of shit needed to be dealt with in Chicago.

"We're ready to take off, Mr De Luca." The flight attendant informed me. "Any refreshments? There's a number of options like-"

I shot up from my seat and bolted out the door. The driver standing by the SUV peered at me from under his umbrella.

"Mr De Luca I-"

"Get in the car. Drive back to my estate."

"But the jet-"

I grabbed his collar. "I said drive."