Chapter 7

~Alex~

Another bite. The newscasters voice was smooth and deep as De Luca spilled from her lips. I pulled the spook away from my mouth and once I was satisfied with the taste I poured some into a bowl and headed towards Kegan on the couch.

I stopped in front of him and pushed a spoon of soup into his mouth. He tasted it, before letting out a mmm sound.

"Is it good?"

He slipped his hand on my lower back. "It's delicious."

I sat on the couch next to him and shoved a spoonful into my mouth, alternating between me and Kegan. It could have used a little more salt, but it was okay. I crossed my legs on the couch, staring at the tv and letting my free hand run over my neck.

Yesterday was....chaotic. Kegan came back from work and I asked him when I could meet my family again. He got mad. We got into an argument and the rest was self-explanatory.

It had become a habit to feel the bruises, but today they were painful enough to make me flinch. Kegan moved his focus onto me, his brows furrowing.

"Don't touch it." He urged and moved my hand away.

"It hurts."

"I know, I'm sorry. I won't do it again, I promise."

My eyes stared into his, and as promising as that sounded I knew it wasn't true. Because that was what he said last time.

Not wanting another argument between us I stayed quiet and sipped my soup, letting my eyes wander around. Our tiny living room was scattered in papers and planning sheets for the wedding in 2 days.

It broke my heart to know that I wasn't going to wear a wedding dress. This going to be a proper wedding since neither of our family members were here and we couldn't afford it.

It would be a little celebration, followed by a dinner. Knowing I'd be promised to be loved forever I knew it was enough.

I set my bowl aside, the tv rambling on and on before I heard a name that made my body freeze.

Leonardo.

My heart slowed, eyes narrowing as they focused on a man that stood in the background of a picture the news showed.

"Billionaire businessman and entrepreneur Leonardo De Luca has closed in on a deal about De Luca hotels being constructed in Florida, America."

The rest of the words were a blur. All I could care about was the photo of him standing with another young man, both of them in crisp suits. The man was smiling whereas Leo had a sober expression, and I gasped like I'd seen a ghost.

Billionaire?

De Luca hotels?

This whole time I'd been traveling and bickering with Leonardo De Luca?

"That's the Leo you were talking about?" Kegan asked, his voice suddenly toneless and hard.

I shook my head. "I didn't know he was a billionaire, or the owner of those hotels." My lips pressed together in thought. "I can't believe it, he didn't even tell me."

When I looked at Kegan, I saw that his face was drained of blood. He swallowed, his eyes darting around while thinking. I didn't think I'd ever seen him this afraid and it scared me.

"He was probably just using you. That guy isn't good news Alex. You sure he didn't hurt you?"

"100 percent." I replied with sureness. "And he hated me, he called me a puttana but he would never use me. He wasn't that kind of guy."