Chapter 17

~Alex~

I almost regretted coming.

The drive to the party was not what I expected it to be, and I didn't understand it.

Me and Leo had been alone in the car many times, and it took me long enough to recognise the shift in the air. A dark, tense edge that had every breath twice as heavy as the last.

I hadn't spoken, neither had I looked his way. To catch an eyeful of his tattooed forearms would be a death sentence to my sanity - which was already hanging by a string.

Past the atmosphere, I'll admit that sitting here transported me to a time not long ago, when my life was sunshines and rainbows and I was being driven to the airport.

I remembered the smell of Leonardo's old cologne, a musky scent wafting in the air while I rambled on about my wedding and Kegan. Something comforted me at the thought of how much I'd changed since then, or maybe I hadn't at all. Maybe I'd only learned that there was a thin line between love and abuse.

If only I learned how to see it, because nothing could stop me from being trapped in the same situation as before.

This time, I vowed to protect myself from bad men. No matter what it took.

I swallowed, focusing on warm, distant lights coming into view. I never knew Sicily could be lively.

Peering out at the golden sand sitting along a long, busy road, I closed my window and watched the numerous motorbikes and taxis. Once I saw the ocean and a boat rocking back and forth near the shore, my lips parted.

"A boat." I whispered. The last time I'd been on one, I was a kid and my Mama was still alive. Back when I wasn't thrown into an empty world and made to find my way back home.

Once the car stopped at the side of the road, I didn't wait a second before hopping off. "This is...breathtaking."

"Its a trash filled beach." Leo added, closing the car door. Looked like his perspective on everything was much different than mine.

"And it's beautiful. Hopefully the men inside will be even more beautiful." I passed him but he pulled me to a halt. I glanced at his hand around my arm, and then flickered my eyes to his.

"These men are filthy rich and detached from reality. The second they see someone like you, they'll prey on you until they break you."

"You say that like its from experience." I muttered.

"It is. So stay away from them."

I inhaled a shaky breathe at the hardness in his voice, like if I didn't stay away from them, he'd keep me away himself. It made me wonder what'd actually happen if I didn't listen to him.

A bead of sweat rolled down my back. Anticipation lurched in my stomach, and I told myself that I was going to listen - I wouldn't cause trouble today, but my promise would mean nothing. Trouble followed me, and I was just dying to know what he'd do if I defied him.

He gestured for me to continue along the pathway, and I did. Strutting behind him, heels clicking over the wooden platform leading towards the yacht booming with music. Every sound shot adrenaline through my bloodstream. Every breath of salty air, was ecstasy on my tongue.