Chapter 14

Oh god. Pain, sharp and unforgiving exploded on my face. In my nose. My mouth where iron erupted and dripped into my throat.

Warm liquid trickled from my nose down the side of my cheek, my eyes almost falling closed with how much pressure pulsed on my face.

I could hear shuffling as the attacker stood, tears pricking my eyes like acid but before I could rest, a nearby door burst open.

I took this chance to gather my strength, sit up and hurl my fist at his crotch.

He immediately hunched over, grunting as men ran in to check what was going on. I ripped off the duct tape and spat out red, cold tears staining my cheeks.

My eyes pooled. Vision blurry, but I could still see Leo storming in and grabbing the attacker by the ear, dragging him away towards the other end of the hallway where his men ran in and took him away.

Weakness struck my head. Before I knew it, it fell back onto the marble ground. I wished I could see the look on Leo's face as he headed towards me but I barely remembered my own name.

Nothing mattered, not even when someone scooped me up from the floor and started walking. Not even when my head rested on a muscled shoulder and the man carried me up the staircase towards my bedroom.

It was only when he lay me down on my bed and pulled the covers over me did I see it was Leo, and my eyes became the size of a moon.

He made me lay my head back and pulled out some tissues from the box on my side table. Leo sat down at the edge of the bed, his weight heavy enough to pull down one side of the mattress.

I blinked a little too long at his move. The last tear rolled down my cheek, and once my vision had cleared, the sight of Leo's face made me exhale a light breath.

God you're crazy Alex. His face combined with the warm glow from the lamp on my side table just looked exquisite. Unfamiliar yet safe. Stone cold yet still able to melt.

I swallowed, not recognising the man in front of me who watched me with eyes too soft.

Somehow, someway his precise movements...His touch, gentle and slow as if I were fragile and fingers slightly shaking as if he was trying so hard not to slip up, all seemed nothing like the man he tried to show people he was.

Leo handled me like he cared, and I would never forget the concern in his eyes as he looked at my blood on the tissues before he set them aside onto the side table.

Once the blood stopped flowing from my nose he frankly assessed my teeth and told me he'd call a dentist to fix the wobbly tooth tomorrow.

I shook my head and he stood, about to walk away before something jumped inside of me and I grabbed his arm.

"Wait-"

Oh no. His jaw tensed, he turned to look me in the eye and suddenly I felt naked. Bare. Stripped of everything as he waited for me to hurry and speak up.

"I'm scared..." I admitted, the warmth coming from his arm making me keep my hand there. Leo's eyes remained stoic.

What was he thinking?