chapter-21

"No!"

I shout at the limping man who drags its hunched over upper body my way squeezing his injured leg in one hand.

His eyes bloodshot. Eyebrows drawn inward. Blood dripping from his split lip like a drool. A scythe shining in his raised hand.

Ready to attack!

"Mama!" Another scream erupts from my throat cutting through my ear drums like a missile was launched in space right beside my ear.

Mama didn't come.

He passes by the adjoined door that opens into mama's bedroom. I expect her to come any second.

It's only about feet feet away from my bed.

He observes my face and a grin appears on his. His teeth partly yellow partly red from blood.

His pace is now slow.

He knows the game.

Four.

Three.

He raises his scythe even higher. As if reached a point where its purpose is to be fulfilled.

Up close, I can see the sharpness of the blade.

Two.

"Mama!" I scream my lungs out. With nothing left inside of me. I don't think there would he anymore strength left to be mustered up in my scream.

One.

"N-nnn-" my body jerked upward and the first thing I feel is the excruciating pain at the impact.

My eyes shot open, alert, as I hold my neck to ease my head back on the pillow.

Semi darkness in the room was creating the illusion of dancing shadows on the walls.

My ears perked up to detect any noise that could inform me of the danger. The constant ringing sound in them made it almost impossible.

It seemed like any moment someone would come out of the shadows and jump on me.

God, now what is this place!

I palmed my heart to quieten its frantic beating but to no avail.

I needed to get out of here.

My body jerked up in a sitting position. Disregarding the shooting pain in my head, I attempted to get out of the bed but my feet got entangled with the sheet that was covering my legs and I couldn't disentangle my toes out of it, ending up kissing the floor face first.

My body hit the floor with a thwack.

Good Lord! I squeezed my eyes shut in frustration.

Excruciating pain rose up below my ribs and I pressed my hand against it biting my lip to prevent myself from screaming out in agony.

I couldn't afford making anymore sound.

A barn door opened up before I could get on my feet and king came rushing in, "whoa!"

Light switch was flicked on revealing him in a fresh shirt and striped trousers.

The open cuts on his cheekbones and a bandage over his nose added to his otherwise messed up appearance. All the memories came rushing back in. Him getting punched over and over again.